Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Review of THE FOREST OF ADVENTURES by Katie M John


 
Read from 13th October 2011 - 14th October 2011
 
I gave this books 5 out of 5 stars!
 
I was given this book to review and wasn't sure what to expect. I have to be honest and say, I didn't know much about Arthurian legend growing up. I must have been taught it in school, I just obviously didn't listen. But I have to say, if it had been as easy, fun, and enjoyable to read as The Forest Of Adventures, I would have known a lot more a lot sooner.
When we first meet 17 year old Mina Singer, she's your normal everyday college girl. She has a close group of friends, a good relationship with her mother, Martha and is in a loving relationship with her boyfriend Sam.
On the surface, life is perfect. That is until the day she meets Blake Beldevier, a hot and totally swoonworthy Arthurian Knight.
Mina's life has always been played relatively safe. She has the long term relationship most girls would dream of. Sam is a lovely guy and she loves him. She just hasn't been able to give herself over to him fully, nor admit it to herself.
When she meets Blake, she starts to realise that maybe not all is it it should be in her life. Perhaps she is missing something.
As the story goes on, you see that Mina is a heroine with whom you can easily relate, and Blake is totally hot and well worthy of her love, passion and desire.
Blake is an Arthurian Knight, so he comes with old fashioned virtues and manners. He won't kiss Mina, nor do anything except occasionally hold her hand, unless she is free to be with him.
I won't tell you what happens between Mina and Sam, nor will I tell you even the basic outline of the rest of the story. It is there for discovery within the pages of the book.
I know I am glad that I didn't read it all in a review before I picked up the book, as it would have made it less enjoyable for me.
The Forest Of Adventures is a fast paced, page turner of a book. Once I picked it up I could not put it down.
Katie M John wrote this in such a way that every word painted a picture. I got lost within the pages and felt a real connection with the characters. I know that if a guy came up to me in the street and said he was from Arthurian times, I would not believe a word he said. But with Blake, it is just so obvious that that is what he is, a Knight. A tall, beautiful, wonderful knight.
If you are anything like me, the story will sweep you away, make you laugh, and make you cry. I sat here and felt tears stinging my eyes until they finally brimmed over and ran rivers down my cheeks.
As I reached the final page, I longed for the next installment. But something the author and I both agree on is, you should really leave about a week between this and Immortal Beloved. This is to create the illusion of the passage of time. Without spoiling too much of the story, there is 2 years between one point and the another. If I was to pick up the next book now, it would not feel so realistically like time had elapsed.
I'm sorry if that doesn't really explain it very well, but I promise, once you read it for yourself, it will make perfect sense.
In summary, I am unbelievably grateful to Katie for giving me this book to review. So much so I went straight onto Amazon and bought Immortal Beloved and put it in my TBR list ready for next week when I will again, aim to read it within a day or two and post a review.
If you love YA books that are easy to sink into, fast paced, un-put-down-able (if there was such a word), and you are looking for something a little bit out of the ordinary to read then I promise you, this is THE book for you.
I heart me some Blake Beldevier and I am sure when you read this, you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...