Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Review of RAVEN by Suzy Turner




I hereby award this book 5 wings!


Read from August 7th - 8th 2011
 
For some people, there are many things to get addicted to. For me, it's a good book that gets me hooked. And Raven? It's a fantastic book that had me hooked from start to finish.

It's the story of Lilly Taylor, a teenage girl living in England. The kids at school call her Mellow Yellow because everything she wears is yellow.

Lilly is a lonely girl who doesn't receive affection from her parents. Her mother feeds her tinned food, and usually it is cold.
But she thinks this is normal. After all, she has no friends to compare experiences with.

One day, she meets a new girl at school, December Moon.
It soon becomes clear that Lilly and December are two peas in a pod. From then on, they are best friends.

Lilly's life continues in this fashion until one day something happens that though she doesn't realise it at the time, changes Lilly's life forever.

Jack and Vivian, her parents, disappear.

Lilly having no other family, is taken in by the next door neighbours, sisters, Dorothy and June, until social services can investigate her parents sudden disappearrance.

Dorothy and June soon realise that Lilly has never eaten a decent home cooked meal, and does not know how to cook for herself. So they decide to teach her the basics.

Consumed by guilt over enjoying herself after what happened to her parents, Lilly cuts off her hair and uses a bottle of dye to completely change it. She also decides that she needs new clothes and the sisters help her to make new outfits on their sewing machine.

After a while, Social Services decide to send Lilly to live with family in Canada.
Lilly knows nothing of Canada or her family there. Her parents never told her, and the times her grandfather wrote to her, Vivian intercepted the letters.
The one time she managed to get a letter, she learned her grandfathers name is Gabriel, but Vivian snatched the letter and tore it up before she could read more.

Upon arriving in Canada, she is met at the airport by Ben and driven to Powell River. Lilly doesn't realise that day how much being there will change her life.

When she meets Gabriel he tells her "We have waited many moons for this day to come Lillian Tulugaq, welcome home. Welcome home."

Upon asking him about her surname, as she thought it was Taylor, Gabriel tells her it has long been the name of their forefathers, "It is the great black bird of the sky, the Raven"

Now it would not be fair for me to tell you the rest of the story, but suffice to say, Lilly makes friends, finds a boy she likes, Oliver, and is shown a completely different side to her life.

The story has twists, turns and quirks that captivate the readers imagination. If you like supernatural, then this is a book for you.

I was certainly surprised and held captive until the end.
Now I cannot wait for the sequel, December Moon, in September.

This story spoke to me as a girl who had her share of hardships, and I only wish I had had the journey Lilly had, and made the discoveries she did. Boy would my life have been different (and I would have known vampires, werewolves and werecats amongst other things, were real)

Suzy Turner has a beautiful way with words that touched my heart immensely.
I am not ashamed to say I shed a few tears. It is suitable for teens, but also suitable for people my age too (*whispers I am 28*)

For all of you who look at this book and wonder if you should buy it, you really REALLY should. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. It is worth a lot more than the price you will pay for it. Don't believe me? Take a look and see for yourself.

Thank you Suzy for writing it, and I eagerly await the final two installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...