Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Review of TRUE NORTH by Christy Trujillo


 I hereby award this book 5 wings!




Read on 17th October 2011.


 
MEET YOUR NEXT FAVOURITE BOOK!
I was given this book to review, and will be forever grateful to Christy for that. It is by far one of my favourite books in a long time. And even though it may seem like I say that a lot (for those of you familiar with my reviews), that is because I never can narrow it down to just one or two favourites. I have many. This book being up there with the best of them.
It's like taking a pinch of LJ Smith and adding a dash of Maggie Stiefvater but with it's own unique qualaities too. Christy Trujillo has the makings of a best selling author, of that, I am in no doubt. The words really come to life, and you get so lost in them that this book is difficult to put down. I know I didn't put it down once all day.
All I knew when I picked this book up this morning was that it was about shape shifters, but when I got to the end of it this evening, I knew it was about far more than that.
Within it's pages, this books holds a story of friendship, love, rivalry and a secret so big the town's council kept it for hundreds of years in the hope of it never being discovered. But is all that about to change? Will the secret be uncovered and will the inhabitants of this town ever be the same?
Sahar North is a 16 year old girl, living in the small town of True North, Colorado. A pleasant, tranquil town provided you are a shape shifter. Which Sahar is not.
She is the daughter of one of the most prominent families within the town, but never really feels like she fits in. This is in no small part due to Dana, the aptly nicknamed 'Wicked Witch Of The North'. So it isn't much of a surprise to find that once Sahar has graduated, she intends to blow out of this small town with it's small minded bullies and put the past far behind her.
She's been in love with Cameron, Alpha of the wolf pack, from afar, knowing he would never feel the same about her, due to the fact that he has an on/off relationship with Dana. But when out of the blue he starts to pay her more attention, and Dana's cousin Dean befriends her, she feels like maybe she isn't so alone, and might just stick around after all.
But in sticking around, she gets more than she bargained for. Dead bodies start showing up in the woods, and Sahar's family must join with the pack to solve the mystery of whom is killing these people and leaving them where anyone could find them.
The fact is, there's humans in town, and they know not of the existence of the shape shifters in their midst. And the plan is to keep it that way.
 
I really never like to give too much away about a story, as I believe it lies in wait for the reader to discover for themselves. All i can really tell you is, I read this book start to end in under 5 hours. It was hypnotic in the way it got under my skin and did not want to let me go until I had devoured every word.
I really believe it will do the same for you.
Whilst this book does not challenge your perception of the genre on the whole, I feel there is something to be said for something safe that you can just sit back, relax, and get happily lost in the pictures Christy paints with her words.
I eagerly await any more installments to this series. I know they will be just as good, if not better than the first.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...