Saturday, 3 December 2011

Review of DESTINED by Jessie Harrell


I hereby award this book 5 wings!
(though I truly wish I could give it more)

I saw Jessie Harrell on Twitter and heard her talking about her book. I was intrigued by what I was hearing, so I had to look it up.
I first saw the beautiful cover which I loved for a few reasons. The model is gorgeous, purple is my favourite colour and I love butterflies. Also the fact that the whole thing just had this soft, romantic look about it. I knew I had to have it.
I think I had to wait about a fortnight for it to be released and I was itching to read it. On the day it came out, I read that Amazon was out of stock, so I ordered it from The Book Depository. It came but a mere 4 days later and I dived right in. ( I should also say that at this point, I had bought the ring that Psyche wears on the cover and had received a signed bookmark from Jessie in the post).....

Up until the days of Percy Jackson, I had never read anything based on mythology of any kind. Call me ignorant, but I also don't really know much about the myths themselves. However, when I knew that DESTINED was based on the myth of Psyche & Cupid, or in this case Eros, I actually looked up the myth on the internet.
To me personally, I felt it was romantic. Yes, okay, a little tragic, but romantic all the same.
So I was even more excited to get DESTINED in the post.

When Aphrodite decides to pronounce Psyche her 'mortal daughter' it looks like things couldn't get better for Psyche. But when Aphrodite tries to set Psyche up with her son Eros, it looks like things are about to fall apart at the seams. It is not wise to anger a Goddess, less so to anger the Goddess who not so long ago publicly claimed you as her mortal daughter.
But it isn't only Psyche. Eros is not interested in her either. So why should they be forced to marry when neither are interested in the other? Well to please Aphrodite of course. But no, nothing is ever that simple.

After having Psyche and Eros refuse to marry, Aphrodite is on the war path. She wants Eros to use his arrows to make it so that Psyche ends up marrying someone truly awful. She wants her to suffer for having refused to do as she was bid.
But when Eros goes to Psyche, he sees her and feels her for what she truly is and he cannot bring himself to to as his mother bids. He knows his mother will not be happy, to say the least. But he feels that he can't justify confining Psyche to a life of misery with someone whom Aphrodite would deem fit.

This story is beautifully written. There are twists and turns you won't see coming that will leave you unsure as to where the end will lie. You know what you want to happen, but the question is, will it be a happy ending? That I cannot tell you. You will have to read it and find out for yourself. The only thing I can say is, I appreciated all the hardships that Psyche had to go through. It was better than just writing a love story where boy meets girl, they fall in love and get married, end of story. No, this love story is one where there are trials and tribulations in store. Not just for Psyche, but for Eros too.

I can't say more about the story, for fear of giving it all away. But I can say that it will haunt me for a long time. In a good way, of course.
You can tell from the words on the page that Jessie Harrell writes with a passion. Not just for writing, but for the characters and the world she is trying to portray. In publishing DESTINED, she built an emotional rollercoaster and invited us all along for the ride. Well I, for one, am glad I stood in line and rode that coaster. In fact, I wish I had never had to get off.
I stayed up late into the night just to finish this book because I was utterly absorbed and needed to know what happened in the end.
I can honestly say, a more romantic story I have never read. I just simply loved it. Completely. Utterly. Wholly. I wish there were more words on the page. Yet at the same time, I feel it ended perfectly.

I should also admit to the fact that I cried. Then I laughed. Then I laughed and cried all the way to the end.

All in all, I am truly glad the cover of this book spoke to me. And I am glad I found Jessie on Twitter in the first place. Else I would have missed one of my favourite books of all time.
Jessie may be a debut author, but it sure doesn't feel that way. If this is how it feels now, I wonder how it will feel when she had written a few more books?!

Thank you Jessie for writing a truly beautiful, haunting story that spoke to my heart and my soul. I know I will never forget it.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - your review has put I smile on my face that won't soon fade. Thank you so much for sharing your love of the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twin, you have a way to make me fall in love with books before even reading them! Cannot wait to read DESTINED and hopefully do a review of my own. I love love love your reviews! Keep up thus amazing good work :)
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Keren! I just bought Destined, and I cannot wait to dive in! There have been so many glowing reviews, I know Jessie won't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Twin :) I try to do the books justice!


    Thanks Hope. It sure won't disappoint. It was a beautiful story :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...