Thursday, 15 December 2011

Review of SHATTERED SOULS by Mary Lindsey


I hereby award this book 5 wings!


I actually finished reading this last night, but real life got in the way of getting on my laptop and writing my review.
At last, I have the time to tell you about one of my favourite books of 2011.


I first saw Shattered Souls on someone else's blog. It was one of their widgets, saying it was coming soon. The cover absolutely blew me away. It is one of the prettiest covers I have seen in a long time, if not, ever! So I went to Amazon to check out the blurb. What I saw made me desperate for release day to roll around. I have patience for many things, but new book release dates is one of those things that I have little to no patience for.


I saw that Book Depository had 2 copies in stock, this being before release date. But unfortunately, didn't manage to snag one before they went out of stock. However, I did manage to find a seller on Amazon that had it in stock, I placed my order and sat back to wait for delivery.
It arrived on 8th December (release date) and I ripped that package open, impatient to get to the beautiful book that lay beneath.
I was reading something else at the time, so this had to wait. I started reading on 12th December and finished on the 14th.
I swore I would not cry, as I have cried at a good many books recently. However, by the time I was finished, there was not a dry eye in the house. I even told Mary Lindsey on Twitter that at least it ended with a smile, albeit a wet one!


Anyway, enough about that, let's get on with the actual review shall we?!


Lenzi Rose Anderson is pretty much a normal girl. Except, that is, for the voices she hears. She's afraid she is going crazy like her father did. She tries to talk to her boyfriend Zak about it. No one else would understand, they'd all say she was schizophrenic or something. But Zak won't judge her. He'll help her if he can. So she tells him she's hearing these voices. That they scare her because she's afraid she'll end up like her dad. She doesn't know what to do to make them go away.


After a picnic with Zak for her birthday, they go to the cemetery after closing time so that Lenzi can pay a visit to her dad. Zak  has a bottle of Jack Daniels and his guitar. Lenzi too takes her guitar, intending to play a song for her dad. What she doesn't intend for is Zak to get drunk and go to sleep.


It is whilst Zak is flaked out on the bench in the cemetery that Lenzi meets Alden. At first she believes her hallucinations are taking a more corporeal form. He touches her on the shoulder, making her jerk away. She tells him he can't be real and should leave her alone. When she closes her eyes, counts to three, then opens them to find him still standing there, she comes to learn he isn't one of her hallucinations. But she is in for yet another shock when he calls her Rose. She's not told anyone her middle name, and why would he call her by her middle name anyway?!


Alden says her name is Rose and he is her protector. But Lenzi says he must be mistaken. She isn't Rose and why on earth would she need protecting?


Lenzi calls her mom to come get her from the cemetery. She'd rather face a row with her mother than this. She wants to wake Zak and leave. But Alden has other ideas. He wants to prove to Lenzi that she isn't crazy. That yes, she can hear voices, but that doesn't make her crazy.She is a reincarnated Speaker -someone who can talk to lost souls and help them transition. He will prove it to her if only she will let him.
So she tells him he has until her mother gets there to prove it.


Alden tells her that her name is Rose and she died in a storm on September 8th 1900. He even shows her her own grave. Lenzi points out that the date on the grave is 1875 not 1900, but Alden tells her that is from several cycles ago as her body was never found after the storm.


I can't and won't tell you anything more at this point, it would only ruin your own enjoyment of the story.


The story goes to show how Alden believes she is Rose. But Lenzi vehemently denies it. She cannot be Rose. She doesn't have Rose's memories. Surely if she were this other woman, she would remember something, anything, some tiny detail at least? But no, she has nothing!


What ensues is a delightful story where we follow Lenzi along her way to discover if indeed she is this Speaker and Alden is her Protector. I can tell you that along the way she meets some colourful characters. Not necessarily all good guys either. She meets a Malevolent soul who seeks revenge. He feels he was wrong in his life and he wants vengeance - stopping at nothing to get it!
She does meet some good guys though. There's Alden's sweet little sister, Izzy. There's also Race and Maddi, two other protectors. They tell her they knew her as Rose too. But can they convince her of the truth?
The big questions are, will Lenzi recover Rose's memories? Will she become the Speaker that Alden says she is? Will she have any choice in the matter?


Well, you need to read the book for yourself and find out. I can honestly say it is one of my favourite books of 2011. I would recommend it to anyone that loves YA books and is looking for something a little bit different to read. Lenzi and Alden are fabulous characters who spark off each other. Lenzi is quite a sassy smart mouth, but she's also a girl with a heart. Alden is adamant that he will protect her because it's his job, but there is nothing more to their relationship than that. Is he telling the truth? Does he secretly harbour feelings for her?


As I said at the beginning, I swore I would not cry at this book. But I just couldn't help myself. I cried and I laughed. I was even cursing along the way. There was so much I loved about this book that I just can't really express it fully. For me, it ended in a smile, albeit a wet one because I had been crying only moments before.


Well done Mary Lindsey on an amazing novel. I am off to have my Shattered Souls mug made :)




Want to buy the book? Find it here:
Amazon UK (hardback)
Amazon UK (Kindle Edition)
Amazon US (hardcover)
Amazon US (Kindle Edition)
Book Depository (free delivery worldwide)
Barnes and Noble


Want to find Mary on Twitter? You can find her here: @MaryLindsey









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...