Saturday, 7 January 2012

Review of DARKHOUSE by Karina Halle


Author: Karina Halle
Source: Paperback from author for review

I hereby award this book 5 wings!

As usual, let me start with the cover. I think it looks dark, ominous and it gives me the chills. I like it, it's a good look. Especially once you read what's on the inside. The story itself gives me the creeps.

I have been after reading something a little different recently. I am always on the look out for new things to read. Something that isn't all vampires, werewolves, boy meets girl and falls in love. Let me tell you now, DARKHOUSE is not any of those things. Instead it has a sassy female MC who I can totally relate to. She's not 'stunningly beautiful' nor is she 'beautiful but doesn't really know it'. Perry Palomino is just your average girl. She has your average, boring job; working as a receptionist.
That really hit home with me because I am just your average girl who usually does receptionist jobs.
I may not be as sassy and smart-mouth as Perry, but then actually my other half might tell you I am (the smart-mouth part at least).
She also has an annoying younger sister called Ada who's 15. I too have an annoying younger sister. These things alone make me feel like if Perry were not a fictional character, we might actually be good friends.

But then you scratch the surface and look just that little bit deeper and maybe Perry Palomino is not as 'ordinary' as she seems.  There's the past she's buried and tried her hardest to forget about and there's the fact that she can see ghosts. Not just your average receptionist after all huh?
Well that's okay because Dex Foray isn't exactly 'average' either. He's hansdome and brooding with a touch of eccentricity. Dex is a producer for Shownet. They have webcasts on things such as 'Wine Babes' - a show where hot babes stand there telling you what wine would go well with your cheeseburger or your microwave dinner for one. Sounds like a show that gets really high ratings doesn't it?! (I'll try and can my sarcasm)

Back to Perry anyway. Her Uncle Al has a disused lighthouse on his property. One that Perry decides to go and investigate one night whilst her sister and cousins are sitting drinking on the beach. Just the kind of thing she should be doing alone on a dark night...!

Upon breaking into the boarded up lighthouse, Perry gets creeped out when she hears footsteps on the floor above her. At this point in reading, if it were a film on tv I would have been shouting at her to get the hell out of there whilst the going was good. But as is inevitable, she didn't get out, she went in further.

<Spoilers not included>

All I can say at this point without spoiling it for you is, this disused lighthouse provides the perfect eerie backdrop for the chilling story that unravels.
Perry is drawn into a world that both threatens her and excites her at the same time. Dex is an oddly charming character and though he is in a relationship with Jenn (form Wine Babes), I really hope to see Karina develop a relationship between him and Perry in future books.

I love Dex. He isn't tall, tan and muscular. Rather he is ruggedly handsome. He has a unique personality for sure. The whole relationship between him and Perry is antagonistic to say the least. It seems both are intent on getting under the skin of the other. There are times when you just want to bang their heads together. It makes for a funny, enjoyable read.

I really enjoyed this first installment in An Experiment In Terror. It was intriguing, fast-paced, well plotted and funny as hell. There was one quote which I found myself wetting my pants laughing. Dex said "... as much as I love to fly by the seat of my pants and shit everywhere, I don't think we can afford to do that ..." This was absolute comedy gold and endeared me to Dex even more than I was already. Let's face it, he isn't your typical male MC, but I like the ones that are a little different. 

I love the way Karina Halle has taken what could be your typical thriller and made her mark on it. Her writing is like a breath of fresh air. She breathes life into what could otherwise be a boring and plodding thriller if written by anyone else. Instead she has left me seeking out the next book in the series, Red Fox and looking forward to the series on the whole; as there will be 8 books in total.

Thank you Karina for the chance to review this book and the opportunity to discover what lies in waiting inside that creepy Darkhouse.

I look forward to being able to give away a copy of this book in my upcoming Friday the 13th Spooktacular Giveaway so that someone else will be able to enjoy it as much as I did.





1 comment:

  1. this looks sooooo good .great review..and i will be back to win it..LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...