Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Review of HALFLINGS by Heather Burch


TITLE: HALFLINGS
AUTHOR: Heather Burch
SOURCE: ARC from the publisher Zondervan
Publish Date: February 1st 2012.


I hereby award this book 5 wings!

As usual with my reviews, let's address the cover. I think it's striking. I love the red, it makes it stand out from the crowd. I love the wings behind the model (whom I will assume is Nikki Youngblood). Being the cover-magpie that I am, I would definitely have this on my shelf.

I was recently informed of Net Galley, a site where reviewers, librarians etc can request books for review.
So I signed up and requested some books. HALFLINGS caught my attention and I was lucky enough to get a reply within the first half an hour of joining saying that yes, they would give me the ARC.
I was so happy, let me tell you. I was hooked by the cover, drawn in by the blurb and I couldn't wait to download it and start reading.

HALFLINGS is the story of Nikki Youngblood, a 17 year old girl who unwittingly finds herself under the watchful eye and protection of 3 mysterious young men. Sworn to protect her, Mace, Raven and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe, whilst also keeping their own secret - the fact that they are not all they seem to be. 

In the beginning, Nikki is attacked by what she believes to be dogs or maybe wolves. Little does she know that they are actually Hell-hounds and they will become perhaps the least of her worries. 
But with Mace, Raven and Vine watching over her, she is rescued from being mauled to death by these vicious creatures.

She awakes in her own bed, believing that it was all only a dream. 

Meanwhile, the boys guardian, Will, has enrolled them at the local school. Like it or not, the boys are stuck with going to Waterside High School. That is so not what they had in mind when they learned they would be coming on this journey.

Having found no marks on herself, Nikki is convinced she dreamt the whole thing. That is until she finds a spot of dried blood on her jeans. 

I can't tell you what happened here, it would be far too 'spoilery' and that just isn't my style. Instead I will skip to the part where she meets the boys.

Nikki is out for a ride on her motorbike when she has to pull in to the gas station. She fills up the tank and across from her she sees a guy filling up an SUV. The guy speaks to her, but he has such a brusque manner that Nikki decides to get on her bike and ride away. 
As she rides away, she sees his SUV in her rear-view mirror. He closes the distance between them in no time at all. This guy obviously has some kind of problem, only thing is, she doesn't know what.

Nikki nearly ends up in a collision with the guy in the SUV but thankfully Mace was watching over her and swoops in to the rescue. 

Twice in a short space of time, Nikki has found herself being rescued. And by a handsome stranger, no less.

Having saved her, Mace takes her into a barn in a cornfield to keep the rain from falling on her. Letting her see him goes against the rules of the Halflings or as they sometimes call themselves, the Lost Boys. But Mace couldn't help himself. He's drawn to Nikki. He should be there to protect her, but he feels something more than just mere protection. 

Back at school after the near-incident, Nikki's best friend Krissy asks her if she has seen the 3 gorgeous blond haired brothers. She hadn't seen them, but it wouldn't take long. After all, everyone knows near enough everyone in high school, right?!

Again, here I could be too 'spoilery', so I won't. All I can really say is, from here, Nikki meets the boys and boy is she in for a surprise. Life is not at all what it seemed to be. 

Throw in a mixture of a growing attraction for one, or maybe even two of her protectors. Add a touch of danger here and there. Stir in some jealousy and hurt feelings, and you will end up with the fantastic story that lies within the pages of HALFLINGS. 

I absolutely adored this book from beginning to end. It had a hint of Eden Maguire's Beautiful Dead series. A series that I also adored. 
HALFLINGS was beautifully written, fast-paced, entertaining and immensely enjoyable. There is plenty of action, drama and romance. What struck me as different is that it is written in the third person as opposed to many of the books I have read of late. 
I would certainly recommend this book to any of my friends who enjoy YA fiction, especially those who, like me, love books about angels.

Well done Heather Burch on a wonderful, creative, first book. I cannot wait for there to be more books in what is set to be an absolutely wonderful series. 


To buy this book: Amazon UK
                           Amazon US

Also, don't forget to purchase the free e-book, 11:15 The Making of a Halfling. You can get it from Amazon UK & Amazon US

*Clicking the links in this post takes you to various places. The book title takes you to Goodreads to add it to your list, the author's name takes you to her profile on Twitter*




7 comments:

  1. Now I have to read this book. Nikki - spelled like me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review. I got this one from NetGalley a while back, but then I overwhelmed myself with too many review requests and personal reading challenge goals and never got to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hun. I really enjoyed it. I really think you should get to it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great and I'm going to check out Net Galley too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for an awesome review! September will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Heather! WOOT Roll on September!! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keren,
    Thanks for posting a review for Halflings!
    I wanted to invite you to The Halflings Network: a place where fans can talk about the book, chat with author Heather Burch, enter giveaways, and get updates on the next book in the series. We also have a free illustrated eBook prequel that I think you'd really enjoy. Feel free to check it out at Halflings.ning.com.
    Thanks again for your great review, we really appreciate it!

    Grant
    Zondervan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...