Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Review of MEETING DESTINY by Nancy Straight


Author: Nancy Straight
Source: Review copy from the author.

I hereby award this book 5 wings!
(though would gladly award it several more if possible)

Firstly, let me address the cover. From the lovely font used for the title to the beautiful model chosen, I love this cover. It's beautiful.
When I was asked if I was interested in reading this, it was obviously the cover that I saw first and it instantly drew me in. I am a cover- magpie as my friends know. 
If you were to put me in a bookshop that was split into only two sections, the Gorgeous Covers and the Not So Gorgeous Covers, I would only shop in the Gorgeous section. Shallow? Yes. But I won't make apologies for who I am. This cover spoke to me before the contents of the book did. It said "Come, read me, fall in love" - so that is exactly what I did.

I sit here at my computer, nervous as hell. You won't see that because you read the words only after they are published in this post. But I am so nervous. This book broke my heart into about a gazillion tiny pieces and I am not sure my words or the words of any other, can truly do it justice. All I can do is try.

I knew this before I read this book that it was a Paranormal Romance so obviously  I was prepared for romance. But I was not prepared for someone to reach into my chest, pull my heart out and stomp on it a few dozen times before shoving the mangled mess back in. Why do I feel like this? You will have to read it for yourself and find out. I can't share all my thoughts, it would contain far too many spoilers. But what I can share, is this:

MEETING DESTINY is about a girl called Lauren Davis. She is visited in her dreams for years by a man claiming to be her 'Destiny'. But Lauren is in a relationship with Seth, her best friend. Their parents were best friends and bought houses next door to each other. Seth and Lauren grew up together, went to school together, so the next natural step - dating each other. 
Lauren believes her dreams are just that, dreams. She's with Seth so how can anyone else be her destiny?

Little does Lauren know that Destiny is about to cross her path. 

During a failed robbery attempt at the Tasty Burger where Lauren works, she meets a stranger and experiences a kind of chemistry she has never known. She comes to doubt the relationship between her and Seth. Are they really a good couple? Or are they better off as just friends? This is something you will have to read the book yourself to find out!

The thing about Lauren, she has a keen intuition and sense of people. She can tell if they have good or bad intentions. One could say she has a kind of sixth sense about things. It was this that made the robbery attempt just an attempt. 

Throughout this book, you don't really learn how or why Lauren has this gift. But that's okay because it is jam packed with so much action that you don't mind not knowing. You just hope to be explained to a little more in book two. 

There were so many ups and downs in this book for me. It was like Nancy put me on a roller coaster wearing a blindfold. I didn't know where the twists and turns might be, I just had to hope that it would all turn out right in the end. In the beginning, it was like the ascent of the roller coaster, it was going along at a decent pace, things were nice. In the middle, there were the loop-the-loops and things that made your tummy funny. But then the end, that was most akin to being left at the height of a huge precipice - hanging there for a few minutes - then being dropped into a black hole. 

I laughed, I cried, my heart stopped once or twice along the way. I fell head over heels in love with Max Meyer. No, I'm not telling you who he is. 
Lauren had her ups and downs. She was happy, she was sad. Every time she felt an emotion, I was dragged right into feeling just the same. 

The biggest emotion I felt was at the end. I was so in love and happy that I could not see the end coming. 
I can't and won't give you any hint as to what happens, all I can say is, I am welling up now remembering it.
My heart was shattered into too many pieces for me to be able to find them all and put them back together. 
I can only hope that book two - DESTINY's REVENGE, can help heal a broken heart.

In all honesty, I went through a range of emotions after I put MEETING DESTINY down. I felt sad and couldn't stop crying. Then when the tears finally dried, I was seething with anger. After that anger subsided, I felt more understanding and acceptance. But boy it was a rough ride. 

I'm sorry if you came here hoping for a review that tells you more of what is going on in the book. I just don't feel that I can tell you without ruining it for you. It's a journey each person must experience for themselves and I encourage you to go and buy this book to do just that.

Nancy Straight is an amazing author. She had me hooked from the beginning and I couldn't put the book down. She warned me that it was long and I wouldn't finish it in a day. But in actual fact, I did just that. 
It took me only one day to read because it was glued to my hand every spare moment I had. 
I love Nancy's writing style. To me, she is the next big thing. How she is not published and up there with the likes of Charlaine Harris, LKH, Rachel Vincent, I will never know. 

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I am now off to take a short break before book 2 so that I can pace myself for when book 3 comes out the end of January.

If you want to buy it for yourself, click one of these links:

I am hoping to receive a paperback in the mail from Nancy soon so that I can have a giveaway - I want to be able to pass it on so that someone else can enjoy this book and have it touch their heart the way it touched mine.
As always, thanks for reading my review. If you liked it, please tell a friend. 

Keren xo




4 comments:

  1. Wonderful review Keren! This book sounds fantastic. I had not heard of it until now, but it sounds like a must read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy :D You make me smile!
    Well, I am having a giveaway as soon as the paperback arrives so, stay tuned... :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this right now and I am loving it! Very good so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heather this book broke my heart. You must enter my Valentines giveaway to win the whole trilogy in signed paperbacks! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...