Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Review of DEATH BY CHOCOLATE ANTHOLOGY


Source: ARC provided by Lucy Swing
Publish Date: 4th February 2012.

I hereby award this book 5 wings!

Firstly, let me tell you how excited I was about this book. I had been asked by a friend to help with her edits for her contribution and so I was listening to all the hype going around. 
I personally love a good bit of chocolate but when I was asked what I thought you could do with a story about chocolate, let me tell you my answer was not PG-13 rated!

The girls have all done extremely well and I would rate each individual story as 5 stars, hence why the anthology as a whole obtained this rating.

The stories were all so different. I would never have expected such a varying contrast of books. But let me tell you, each and every one of them was just perfect for this anthology!

I decided to not pursue my traditional kind of review because I normally tell a little bit of what is going on to set the scene. However, this time I am just sticking to a short paragraph about how much and why I enjoyed each book. I do this because this book is something each individual needs to experience for themselves. The stories are only short stories so I can't tell you much about them without ruining things. 
So, without further ado, let's roll out the reviews....

*in the order they appear in the book*

BACK IN TIME by Stacey Wallace Benefiel.

Charming and funny. This story was simply delicious. I would have loved it to have been longer - I guess the whole point is, it's short and sweet.
I knew nothing of what would happen and I'm not telling you. Experience this sweet, tempting journey for yourself. I for one really look forward to reading more by Stacey. I have a taste for her writing style now.

SWEET WITCHERY by Cheryl J. Carvajal.

In stark contrast to the first story of this anthology, SWEET WITCHERY was tense and gripping from the start. This short story manages to pack a mean punch in such a short space. I was on tenterhooks to know how it would end.
I actually felt as though I did not take a breath until the final page. 
It was not at all what I expected, yet I found it to be all I desired. I will be sure to look out for more from Cheryl in the future. Another author I have found I enjoy the writing style of!

SPELLBOUND by Nikki Jefford.

Spellbound by name and spellbinding by nature. This fun, quirky story had me hooked. There was intrigue and mischief aplenty.
A unique short story with a terrific twist. It really was a blast!
This is the first thing I have read by Nikki Jefford but it sure won't be the last. I love the style of her writing and look forward to many more future novels by her. 
Look out literary world, here comes another amazing author to knock your socks off!

BLOODY VALENTINE by Lucy Swing.

This story was superb. I was instantly hooked and falling in love. (with the story, not the cute guy, this time)
Yet another completely different story to the first 3. I am amazed at how fast I got sucked in, had my emotions tossed around and then before I knew it, the story was over.
I really do wish there had been more to the story. It would have made a great novel.
But as it stands, it's a fantastic short story that left me feeling sated and smiling.
I expect many great things from Lucy Swing as an author!

*For those who think I might be bias, yes, I helped with some of the edits for this story. However, I didn't see the final draft before publication. There were some things that changed in between my reading it then and reading it now*

SWEET TORTURE by Kira Saito

SWEET TORTURE was a beautiful tale of a girl who doesn't think she's good enough - definitely something I can empathise with.
This story made tears well up in my eyes. It touched me and made a big impact on me for something so small. 
Well done Kira, I am always amazed at what you manage to pull out of the hat. 
Again, a story I would have liked to have seen as a full novel. Just brilliant!

THE GIRL WITH THREE HEADS by Suzanne Korb

This story had me laughing out loud. I felt like I was back in the world Rick Riordan created with his Percy Jackson series. That alone is a big compliment because I adore Percy!
Suz managed to pack an adventure and a half into this great short story.
Well done Suz. such a shame it is not a full novel, or even a whole series. I completely did not see this story coming and it was great. 
There were comedy moments aplenty - a great way to end the anthology - on a laugh out loud moment!!

I loved each and every one of these stories. What I enjoyed most though was getting to experience the writing styles of some authors I have not encountered before. This was a great way to find new authors to explore and enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you liked it! Thanks for posting such a thoughtful review of it, too!

    BTW, this is Cheryl, aka Shakespeare. I look forward to reading more of your reviews. I'll put you on my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I really, really loved it!! :D xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...