Sunday, 26 February 2012

Review of THE NIGHT SHE DISAPPEARED by April Henry


Author: April Henry
Source: ARC from Macmillan, provided by Net Galley.
Expected Publication Date: 10th April 2012.

I hereby give this book 4.5 wings!
As always, a little cover appreciation is top of my list. I like this cover because it stands out as something a bit different. It was a slightly edgy feel to it and that was what caught my eye, leading me to read the blurb and susequently request this book.
As many of you will already know, I have been lucky enough to be auto-approved by Macmillan for any of their books I would like to review via Net Galley.
Whilst browsing their list, I came across THE NIGHT SHE DISAPPEARED. It struck me as different from anything I have previously read and sounded really interesting.
I started reading it a couple of days ago and have just put it down. So I thought I would write my review whilst the story is still fresh in my head.
I found this story to be really interesting, well-written and a definite page-turner.
I enjoyed the way it was written from different people's points of view. That is something I have experienced a few times before but in this instance, I feel April Henry has done it more freely and with more fluidity than I have encountered before.
Whilst reading it, I felt like I was in an episode of Criminal Minds, which I just happen to love. Not the way it was from different POV's but the fact that it was about kidnap. Something I have not come across in this form before reading this.

THE NIGHT SHE DISAPPEARED is about Kayla Cutler, a young girl working for Pete's Pizza when she gets kidnapped.
A customer phones Pete's and orders 3 'meat monster' pizza's and asks if 'the girl driving the mini' is delivering that night.
The girl he is asking about is Gabie. But it's Kayla that makes the delivery.
We go on to find out from the different characters what happened that night.
Drew was working that night and was the one who took the phone call. Gabie was not working that night because Kayla asked her to swap shifts.

I enjoyed finding out from the different perspectives what happened. But I felt that it meant that I couldn't connect with the characters because I didn't spend long enough seeing things through their eyes. However, by the halfway point, that wasn't necessarily true.
I found that actually, I could connect with Gabie. She felt bad because it was meant to have been her.
With Drew, it was slightly easier to connect as I felt we spent more time seeing it through his eyes.
I felt a connection with Kayla too as we get to see it as she sees being locked up in the room where she was taken. So all in all, at halfway through, I could see how things connected and was enjoying it a lot.
Not to say I hadn't enjoyed it up to then. It was a good story from the beginning. But for me, I love to read a good book where I get drawn in and feel like I could be the main character.
That didn't happen for me in this instance - but that didn't mean it wasn't an enjoyable read.
The basic premise was a good one and I think it was executed well.
I knew all along it wasn't the guy they suspected. Something just didn't add up. I found myself wanting to scream at the police officer. To shake him and make him realise he was blindly leading the investigation in the wrong direction.
I was pleased with how this book ended. It was wrapped up really well. I won't tell you how it ends, obviously. But I will say that it left me smiling.
I will be sure to look for future books from April Henry. I look forward to seeing what she does next.
Thank you to Net Galley and to Macmillan for providing this ARC. And thank you to April Henry who encouraged me on Twitter to pick up THE NIGHT SHE DISAPPEARED when I was questioning what I should read next! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...