Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Review of SLIDE by Jill Hathaway




Title: SLIDE
Author: Jill Hathaway
Source: ARC from Harper Collins (UK)
Expected Publish Date: 1st March 2012 (UK) 27th March 2012 (US)

I hereby award this book 5 wings!

"I see through the eyes of a killer..."

Firstly, my thoughts on the cover. I have seen both the US and UK covers for SLIDE and I really like both. The US one is purple (my favourite colour) - the UK one is depicted above.
When I first looked at the cover on Goodreads, I was honestly not quite sure what to make of it. But when I received it in the post and actually held it in my hands, let me tell you I love it!
You can see up close that there are two hands reflected in the iris - how creepy! They say that eyes are windows to the soul and that they are where you can find real emotion - it's like when they say about a smile reaching your eyes. Well, in this case, the emotion I see is FEAR plain and simple!
And if I was Vee, I would understand why.


Sylvia 'Vee' Bell is a girl with a secret. On the outside she appears to be a girl with narcolepsy. On the inside lies a totally different story. When Vee passes out, she slides into the conciousness of other people. She ends up seeing through other people's eyes and experiencing what they are doing.
This alone would be enough to deal with but when Vee finds herself in the head of a killer, standing over the body of a cheerleader - let's just say things get a whole hell of a lot creepier.

Vee knows that Sophie's death was no suicide, but how is she meant to prove this when she hasn't been able to share her secret?! Not even with her best friend Rollins. She tried to tell her father about it but he just sent her to see a counsellor.

I don't know what I would do in Vee's situation. It seems like everything is set to conspire against her. Just when she thinks she might confide in someone about it, she stumbles across something else that makes her want to keep it to herself.

What would you do if you knew someone had been murdered but everyone else thought it was suicide and if you told anyone otherwise they would question your sanity?


Having found out about this book through a friend a little while ago, I loved how it sounded and couldn't wait until it was released. As luck would have it, I got it from Harper Collins in January.
I am so glad I didn't have to wait the extra months to be in possession of it - but it would have been worth the wait even if I did.

Jill Hathaway has presented us with a female protagonist who on the face of it is just your average girl. But when you look beneath the surface, there's more to her than that.

Vee is an easy character to relate to. The main reason I like her is because though she may have an ability beyond that of us normal girls, she's just ordinary. There's no heirs and graces to her. No falseness. Who's to say what's 'normal' anyway? It seems to have become that you have to be 'abnormal' to fit in these days.

To me, Vee may not be the in your face, kick-ass protagonist that so many seem to enjoy - but she is just as likable. She has guts, she has a good heart and in the end, she gets things done.

I loved how easy it was to just pick up SLIDE and sink in. It wasn't an overly complicated plotline with lots of things just thrown at you. Jill Hathaway has a way of inserting twists and turns where you don't expect them - but she does it with such an ease that you just roll with it.

This was unlike anything I have read before and thus is a fresh addition to the whole YA genre. Not only do we have an expertly crafted complex storyline but it also touches on other issues. Suicide being by and large the biggest one of those - but there's also others in there that make you sit up and think. At this point I won't share those with you - you will have to read it and see for yourself.

I really like the whole idea behind the main premise - Vee is able to slide into the consciousness of others if she comes into contact with something that carries an emotional charge. I really hope that there is a lot more to come from this because as I say it is a fresh idea. I for one can't wait to see where Jill goes with it.
I like the idea of Vee getting used to the sliding and being able to take more control of it. It leaves me wondering where the future of this series lies - who Vee will slide into and what secrets we will uncover.

Well done Jill on a brilliant debut novel that had me hooked and turning the pages, devouring the book within one sitting.

To purchase SLIDE for yourself: 






2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review!! I really want to read this book. The UK cover is a lot different than the US cover. I like it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun :D Yeah lots different. I like them both to be fair! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...