Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Review of A WITCH IN WINTER by Ruth Warburton


Author: Ruth Warburton
Publication Date: 5th January 2012.
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books

I hereby give this book 5 wings!

Firstly, let me say I absolutely love this cover. The colour is striking and makes it stand out on the shelf. The model is beautiful and I just love the way the whole thing comes together. 

But whilst it was the cover that drew me in, it was the stunning story within that kept my attention.

A WITCH IN WINTER was simply sublime. It was a fast-paced, well-written, wonderful story. Very fluid in it's motion. I picked it up at 12 noon yesterday and was finished within the day. I was just so hooked I found it impossible to put down.

In all honesty, I have that many books to read that I actually asked my 5 year old son to pick one for me. When he picked this, I had been wanting to read it for a while anyway, so I was only too pleased to sit down and settle in. What I didn't expect was to get so carried away by it that I would lose track of time. Suddenly 3 hours had passed in the blink of an eye. It felt like the writing was almost hypnotic. 
Ruth Warburton is definitely an author to look out for in the future. She knows just how to press all my buttons and pack a punch into her story.

This is a line from the blurb that I just loved so much - 
"Although a perfect fit for the paranormal romance genre, A WITCH IN WINTER avoids fangs, excessive body hair and submissive female leads, and tells the heart-wrenching story of a couple meant to be together, but being forced apart"

It really sums things up and I couldn't have said it any better!

This was the story of Anna Winterson. A sweet girl who never believed in magic. Until now.
When Anna's father is made redundant, they are left with no choice but to move. The bills are adding up, the pressure on her father to get a job and pay those bills is mounting. So they move to a house in the small town of Winter. Wicker House. Or as some of the locals call it 'Witch's House'.

Forced to move school mid-year, to live in a house she thinks is dilapidated, to go to a school where she knows no-one, Anna's life couldn't get any more complicated. Or could it?

When Anna has a couple of girls from school round one night, they look through a book that her dad uncovered whilst doing up the house. This book is full of odd words and weird writing. It's mostly burnt. Yet something the girls discover inside makes things get a whole lot more complicated for Anna. Unbeknownst to her at the time, she has 'bewitched' Seth - the gorgeous boy at school who is dating Caroline.

At this point, I can't tell you more. That's for you to find out. But I can tell you, this story is quirky, fast-paced and full of intrigue. There's so much packed into such a short space. So many things happen to Anna that you wonder if the girl is cursed. Poor Anna goes through so much. It's a roller coaster ride for her and her emotions.

If I could live inside any book and be friends with any characters, I would chose A WITCH IN WINTER. I totally heart me some Seth. But I also found I have a mini girl-crush on Anna. She is so sweet and so good. I just love her!

I was after reading something different. This book was it. It was a truly magical, marvellous journey. There were ups and downs, twists and turns. Things that I wouldn't have thought would happen, but they did. I am so eager to read A WITCH IN LOVE when it comes out in July and then A WITCH ALONE (I'm not sure when that one comes out). 

This was the start to what I am sure will be a really beautiful trilogy. I just really hope things work out well for all concerned in the end. I know there will be more ups and downs ahead. I really wouldn't want it to be an easy journey. If it was, it would feel like it was missing something. But though there's bound to be rubber waters and they're bound to take some falls, I know that with Ruth Warburton at the tiller, it'll all work out right in the end.
(even if we have to suffer a little along the way)

I will admit that there were moments of pure joy during this book, but there were also tears too. I didn't even realise I was crying until I felt hot wet tears run in rivulets down my cheeks. But in the end, I was left smiling.

All that's left to say, I guess, is thanks to Ruth for creating some amazing characters. I can honestly say I loved them all. Even the baddies. because they were all written so well. I wish I had my very own Emmaline. Though she starts out as someone I would gladly slap, she ends up someone I would want in my life come hell or high water. She isn't a fair-weather friend, she's got the makings of the best kind of friend a girl could have.
Thanks also for the kind of story that sticks with you. A story that leaves you feeling at once sated yet crying out for more. 

To buy A WITCH IN WINTER for yourself:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...