Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Spine Damage... A Sign Of A Loved Book or Of Not Caring Enough About Your Books?

Now personally, I like my books in pristine condition. The less spine damage the better... 

...I like to look after my books and to me, keeping them in good condition is a sign of my love...

...But for some people, a broken spine and dog-eared pages are the sign that a book is loved. It shows that they are read... I must admit, I do not understand this...!







You may ask what brought this post about, I'll tell you. A friend of mine saw my books recently and commented that they all looked unread. She remarked that they were as pristine as if they had only just been bought. I told her that for me, that is a compliment.
She said that she must admit all her spines are broken and said that to her, that was a sign she loves them because it shows she's read them over and over.

I will admit, when I read a book, I have it open only enough that I can see the words on the page. I make a conscious effort not to exert any pressure so that I leave no marks behind.


*Plus* I only buy NEW books unless it's a hardback. I can cope with a used hardback. But paperback? No way! I can't guarantee the quality I'm getting so would rather pay more for new.


As for lending books to people? No way jose!! Why not? Well I can't vouch for how other people look after their books, so I don't lend them out. Simple! :) 

...So it is with this in mind that I am asking you for your honest opinion. Is spine damage a sign of a loved book, or is it a sign of caring little about them?


I am honestly interested in what you guys think and would be grateful if you would comment below and tell us your opinion and why...











14 comments:

  1. I am like you. I am super picky with my books and I keep them in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am to the point of if I am buying books, they have to be new - I will only look at used HARDBACKS not paperbacks, as you can't guarantee the quality. And I won't lend books out because I can't vouch for how it will be returned!!

      Delete
    2. I agree, I only lend books to people who I know will return them in the same condition. I love seeing my books look pretty, not beat up.

      Delete
    3. I've just updated the post because I forgot to add about the lending & buying used books lol!

      I have this one book upstairs in a box, it has been with me since 1996, the oldest book I still have - it's in pristine condition - even at the age of 13 I knew how to look after my books! :)

      Delete
  2. I try to keep mine looking good. I do not fold pages or bugger up cover, but I have read some pretty sweet books that look like they have been inside someone's back pocket. Love comes in many shapes and sizes...and that's fine...as long as they don't touch my books..LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Kimba. Each to their own isn't it?! Just not with my books!! :0)

      Delete
  3. I remember this conversation! lol. I couldn't believe how pristine your books were, it looked as though you hadn't read any of them ;)

    You would probably have a heart attack if you saw the books on my shelf. I have an incredible shelf by the way, it's bespoke and built-in.

    You don't want to know how many books I've dropped into the bath only to have to blow dry them so they fan out and I can finish reading them! The crinklier the pages the better for me!

    As I read I crack the spine of a paperback with every page I turn. I've been know to read a book so many times I have to carefully tape pages back in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taping pages back in? That shocks me Suz! But the condition of our own books to each of us shows love so...! Different horses for different courses and all that. X

      Delete
  4. I also take super good care of my books. I never open a paperback fully. I have seen books nearly broken in two and it breaks my heart to see that. It hurts just as much to see the pages dog eared. Years later someone can tell where you stopped reading.

    I had a hard time with textbooks and craft books I bought. I automatically tried to keep them new looking. I finally realized the purpose was for me to learn. I won't open it to hurt the spine, or bend the pages, but I will highlight items that I need to learn. That was a big step for me to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to share your opinion Faith! I am of the same opinion as you, yet you can highlight sections, I cannot. I just cannot take a pen to a book, textbook or not.
      Glad I don'tneed textbooks lol

      Delete
  5. I fall somewhere in the middle on this, ToA. I had to laugh about barely opening the book just enough to see the words. I am DEFINITELY guilty of that, but usually, when I am reading a borrowed book from a friend. I have lent friends books, only to have them returned to me in terrible shape. Do I still loan out my books? Absolutely. My passion to share the written word is too great to deprive someone who may not be able to afford the book. I will just have to take my chances. However, I all but put on white gloves when I am reading a book - whether it be my own or someone else's. These days, I read more on my Nook or on my Kindle due to vision problems. Then, I turn around and buy the hardcover for my library. It's a sickness, and I don't want a cure! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ToA I must say, white gloves? Really? OCD much?! Lol
      I am fussy about lending books out as one came home with a coffee ring on the cover- someone had put a cup of coffee on top of MY book - don't care how they treat their own, but a borrowed book? That's disgusting!!
      I will never lend out an author signed book or ARC espcially, I just cannot do it!

      Delete
    2. All BUT, ToA. No actual white gloves. ;P
      Different story if it is one of my personalized, author-signed books. Honestly, I would never ask to borrow something like that, and I don't believe I have a friend who would ask me! Of course, if I receive one back in poor condition with no offer of replacement, said person will go on the list of people who don't get to borrow my books unless they pry them from my cold, dead hands! Hahaha!
      I will lend out an ARC, and I have been fortunate enough to have an amazing friend who has loaned and given me several ARCs. We both treat our books with the care they deserve.

      Delete
    3. I have been asked to lend out an author signed ARC and have had to say NO WAY JOSE!!
      I'm afraid the story goes "Once Burned..Twice Shy..."

      I know I sound harsh, I just can NOT bring myself to part with things that mean the world to me, only to have them returned in anything but the original state they were leant out in!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...