Tuesday, 29 May 2012

CHANGING MY WARDROBE by Deb Hanrahan - BLOG TOUR!!




Author: Deb Hanrahan
Available Formats: Paperback & E-book
Source: eARC provided by the author via RABT 
Publish Date: May 26th 2012


*I hereby award this book 5 wings!*

"Lindsey, a high school freshman, views her new school as a place to start over. With the help of her friends, she hopes that a change in her
wardrobe will prompt a change in her image. She has some success until her long-time nemesis, Avery, reminds Lindsey of her place. Without
asking for help from the adults, the main character and her friends struggle to manage the bullying. Despite their efforts, tensions rise, and
people get hurt."

Back cover:
"Incoming freshman, Lindsey Ames, wants to take Italian, and she wants to join the National Honor Society.
She wants a new image, and she wants better clothes.
She wants Avery to stop tormenting her, and she wants Marco to ask her out.
She wants Jocelyn to go away, but she wants Grouper to be happy.
She wants to save Teeny's reputation, but she doesn't want to lose everything.
Will Lindsey find the courage to stand up to her enemies before it's too late?"

*****************
I'm sitting here at my laptop, wondering what on Earth I can say to do this book justice. My hands are still shaking as I try and type - I put this book down over an hour ago and the story is still resonating within me. 
I wasn't the A- student in school, but I was bullied. I didn't know it before picking this book up but this story would end up reminding me of my life back in school and though I didn't come to the same ending, I felt as though it could have been me. It was great to read a story filled with such realism.

My Review:


CHANGING MY WARDROBE is the story of Lindsey, a girl who is about to embark on her freshman year of school. 
She didn't enjoy her old school, Maple, because she never felt like she really fitted in anywhere. Sure, she had her friends. But she wasn't one of the 'popular crowd' - she wouldn't have wanted to be one of them anyway, but it would have been nice to be 'somebody' - What I think Lindsey fails to realise is that she is somebody.


Lindsey is nice, funny, clever. The kind of girl who you'd be proud to call your friend. Her friends Teeny and Grouper think the world of her. 
It's Teeny that suggests that changing her wardrobe might help her feel more like she fits in.  Having always been one of these girls that dresses well, but maybe not all that 'on-trend' - Lindsey needs Teeny's keen eye to help her pick some new outfits.


Teeny manages to convince her to take a pair of her old jeans and turn them into cut-off shorts, pairing it with an old 'Journey' t-shirt of her mom's and a pair of cheetah print ballet flats, Lindsey has her outfit set for her first day as a freshman. She's just hoping that she doesn't attract the attention of Avery, hoping the school is big enough that she doesn't even bump into her.


Avery's the type of girl we all had to put up with at school - or at least from personal experience, there's one in every school. She's pretty and popular - but she's also a mean girl (I couldn't use the word I wanted to here!) - this combination makes her Lindsey's worst nightmare. If only she can stay out of her way...


But no such luck. Avery seems to be everywhere you turn. In the line in the cafeteria, in the halls, even in P.E. Yes, you guessed it, she's the mean girl in P.E who makes fun of those who aren't as good as her. Making snide remarks about your appearance to make herself look good in front of her friends. 


Jocelyn is the weird- kid. Did we all have one of those at school too? Someone we didn't really want to associate ourselves with because although we weren't popular, we also weren't as unpopular as them? Well actually, I wasn't quite like that at school, I tried to make friends with people even if others did think they were weird. But I can understand why Lindsey felt awkward. She didn't want Avery to make her more of a target because of hanging around with the weird girl. Much to my surprise, Jocelyn stood up for Lindsey when Avery tried having a dig during a P.E lesson where they were running laps. 
I won't tell you what she said, you need to read it for yourself. But I can tell you that I cracked up laughing and it endeared me to the girl...!


Now, I guess I ought to mention the love interest, Marco. He had me swooning and feeling hot under the collar. Lindsey met him on her first morning at school and he seemed to make school a little more interesting.
Marco is tall, gorgeous and athletic. He wants to try-out to be part of the swim team. Now I know I'm not a teenager any more, but I have to admit that I was picturing Marco in his swimwear and it was a pretty picture let me tell you!


So, so far we have the story of a young girl - being bullied by the mean girl, and lusted after by the gorgeous boy. So far, so good. I was reminded of my school days. Though not that the handsome stranger ever fancied me, just that I was picked on for not being in with the 'in-crowd'.


The story was so realistic - I was utterly absorbed.


Needless to say, Teeny, Grouper, Lindsey, Marco and yes, you've guessed it, even Jocelyn, start hanging out together all the time. They have movie nights round each others houses, go to the mall, out on date-nights. It's fun and I must admit, I wish I'd had all this growing up.


But it's not all fun and frolicking. Avery is out to cause as much trouble as possible. It doesn't help that her boyfriend Cal is also mean and out for trouble. Together the two of them really are evil.
I can't tell you how, or why. All I can say is, the stunts that get pulled only escalate in their wickedness. I really feel sorry for Teeny when Avery seems hell-bent on getting revenge on her even though she didn't do anything wrong. 


So to the end of the story, without giving too much away. This story had been so tumultuous throughout and it ended with a leaden feeling in my stomach. I had streams of tears pouring ceaselessly down my face. As I put the book down, I thought that eventually I would quit crying. But as I tried to write a status update on Goodreads, it brought it flooding back and the tears would fall afresh. 


CHANGING MY WARDROBE touched my heart and left an imprint on my very soul. It started out as the story of a girl who thought changing her image on the outside might change how people saw her. But ended up being about much more than that. It was a story with such realism that it could have been lived by anyone. Me, you, the girl next door... What happened in Lindsey's life could have happened to anyone at your school, either with or without your knowledge. 
I hope that any teens reading this book may rethink their actions. I think this story was a beautiful and touching way to get across the message about bullying. 
If you read this book and you realise that this could be you, I hope you rethink your decision to keep quiet about it. If you have been or are being bullied, or you know anyone who is, do something about it. Don't let the bullies get you down, speak up before it's too late!


Thank you Deb Hanrahan for such a touching, heart-wrenching story. I'm so glad that I picked this up and agreed to be part of this blog tour. I'm always glad to share my love of a good book - and this was more than good, it was FABULOUS. But also because it gets the message out there. Help stamp out bullying!!






**Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by
the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in
exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not
necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the
Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising**






Author Bio:
I live with my husband and three teenagers in the Chicagoland burbs. After graduating from the University of Illinois with
a B.S. in Chemistry, I worked at a nuclear power plant for five years. I then left my career to stay at home with my three
kids.
Seemingly, overnight, I went from being crazy-busy to having way too much time on my hands. With my husband
working long hours and my kids pursuing their own lives, I had to reinvent myself. So, I decided to write that book I
always wanted to write. Changing My Wardrobe is my first novel 
Deb on Facebook
Deb's Blog




Now to announce the winner of the giveaway we held. The lucky winner will receive a signed paperback copy of CMW from Deb herself.


Let's say a big CONGRATULATIONS to our winner, April Alvey!




to one and all who entered! I hope you enjoyed my stop on the blog tour. I sure enjoyed taking part! ;0)





6 comments:

  1. Great review! This was a 5 star book in my eyes as well, and I seldom give such a high rating. This was a fabulous book, everyone should read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darian - it was awesome, wasn't it!! :D

      Delete
  2. Fabulous review, Keren :) I have seen this one around but didn't know too much about it before. I love it when a story really touches you, one that will stay with you for a long time. I think I will definitely have to give this one a go, so glad you loved it :)(I would enter but I am UK)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Keren for reading and reviewing CMW. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb :D I loved it, you know it made me cry!! xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...