Saturday, 9 June 2012

Review of LIES BENEATH by Anne Greenwood Brown


Release Date: June 13th 2012.
Source: eARC copy supplied by Net Galley on behalf of Random House/Delacorte

*I hereby award this book 5 wings!*

Firstly, let me say how much I love this cover. As a lot of you may already know, I am a self-confessed cover-magpie. This really appeals to me because of it's simplistic beauty. It's truly captivating. 

This is only the second book I have read revolving around mermaids - or should that be merpeople?! I saw it on Goodreads and decided to see if it was available on Net Galley - to my utter pleasure, it was and I got approved for it! :)

So what did I think? Hmm.. let me see....

LIES BENEATH is told from the point of view of Calder White - a mermaid...merman... (I really don't know what to call him without causing him offence). He lives in the beautiful, yet cold, waters of Lake Superior. He has 3 sisters and all of them are murderous mermaids. 
In order to survive, Calder and his sisters must kill humans to obtain the energy source they give off as a sort of cotton candy looking aura. 

The family are angry and out for revenge. Jason Hancock's father made them a promise years ago and now is the time to collect. One thing you should never do - break a promise to a mermaid. 
They blame Hancock's father for the death of their mother and they have waited (not so patiently) for the day when Hancock would return to Lake Superior so that they could seek reparation for the debt Hancock's father owes - his son's life.

But when Calder meets Jason Hancock's daughter Lily, she could be the unravelling of the plan. 

Beautiful and full of life (yes she glows with a happy aura) - Lily is the kind of girl a boy could fall for. But mermaids.. mermen.. don't have a capacity for these kind of feelings...do they?

Well, you'll just have to read the book and find out I'm afraid!

Being the second book about mermaids that I have read recently, I was afraid this would be similar in style. Boy I'm glad I was proved wrong. I thought there was probably 'only so much you could do with mermaids' - I enjoyed finding out that my theory was incorrect, I guess I just don't have the imagination required to do something different. But that's okay because I'm a reader, not a writer - so I can sit back and let my imagination drift off into something created for me. In this case, something absolutely beautiful that would take me  on an uncharted journey through the clear waters of Lake Superior. 

I enjoyed this book immensely. I cannot even hope to do it justice with my words. I fail in comparison to the beautiful, inspiring words of Anne Greenwood Brown. 

From the first line, I was sucked in and it kept me in it's grips right to the end - and boy what an ending. Full of twists and turns, I never knew where this journey would end (or at least end for now) - just when I thought I knew what could happen *BAM* - I was wrong!!

Somehow from when I laid eyes on this book, I knew it would be something special - I am glad to say I was 100% correct. I am absolutely dying for the second book DEEP BETRAYAL to come out - which is a long wait considering LIES BENEATH isn't on shelves yet!

I have to say, I like a book that I can totally sink into and this book was no disappointment there. I actually lost huge chunks of time 2 nights in a row, staying up til 2 and 3am because I couldn't bear to put it down. I finally got to 88% at 2:30 this morning and had to put it down because my eyes were burning with tiredness. So I finished it off as soon as I woke up. 

I am not usually a quotes girl - meaning that I don't go on the hunt for quotes specifically - but there are two that struck me and stayed with me. If I share them with you, I know I'll have you hooked - they are just that good! So here goes...

The opening line... it had me thinking "What the...?...Oh My Gosh... I'm going to love this book"

"I hadn't killed anyone all winter, and I have to say I felt pretty good about that...."

Also, a line from farther in the book...

"Would you please get it into your head that this is not a movie. Forget everything you think you know about merpeople. Forget that freaking Ariel, think Silence of the Lambs, think Friday the Thirteenth..."

It has to be said that Anne's writing throughout is captivating, not just these quotes. The way she portrays things, it's like I was sitting on the bank of the lake watching it all unfold in front of me. 
I love it when a book makes me feel the way this did. It's no secret that I'm a sucker for a good bit of romance and I love the way the relationship unfolds between Calder and Lily - nothing in life is simple, even less so for these two. 

The characters in this book are so awesome. I love Lily. She's beautiful, fun, isn't easily brought down. Calder is handsome, complicated, emotionally unreachable (or so he believes). Even the 3 sisters are great characters. They all have their traits that you can identify with. 

But enough of what I think. What did you think of it? If you haven't read it yet, I suggest you do so. Then you can come back and we can gush together about what we loved. Or loathed. 

Thank you to Random House/Delacorte for approving me for this eARC with Net Galley. Thank you Net Galley for being there to provide awesome books to book-thirsty bloggers like me. 
But more important thanks go to Anne Greenwood Brown for creating an intriguing world in which I loved getting lost. I would gladly have never found my way back out. I eagerly await book 2.





2 comments:

  1. I definitely want to read this. And I agree, the cover is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was AMAZING Kelly! You MUST get it!! :D xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...