Saturday, 27 October 2012

Welcome To My Review of ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND by Gena Showalter!


Author: Gena Showalter
Source: ARC copy from MIRAink
Publication Date: October 5th 2012

"She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish"

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings*

I first heard about this book a few months ago and have been dying for it since. So when I saw MIRAink post a photo of a box of them on Facebook, I knew I had to instantly email for a copy. So I did and they sent me a copy within a week. I was over the moon!

For teenage Alice Bell, life has always been anything except ordinary. Alice and her sister Emma have never know what it would be like to grow up normal. Why? Well the answer to that is their Dad. His behaviour has always been erratic.. some would say crazy! See, the thing about their Dad is, he sees monsters!
Of course when Alice and Emma look out of the windows, there are never any monsters to be seen. But their Dad is determined. He won't let the girls go out after dark. They have a curfew far earlier than their friends. Dad has even trained them in martial arts. Not that Alice ever paid as much attention as she could and maybe thinking back, should have done. 
Little did Alice know at the time that she would rue the day she decided not to pay attention. But more about that later.

Their Dad was always like it for as long as they can remember. He said that the curfew was imposed because the monsters come out of the woodwork after dark and if you were outside and they saw you, well then you had to run like all Hell, for if you didn't - well, that doesn't bear thinking about. 

If anyone had ever told Alice that in just one blink of an eye her world would be turned upside-down and chaos would reign, she would probably have laughed and said that it was chaotic enough so what else could possibly make it worse. Little did she know then what would ensue and how it really would shake up her world beyond belief.

It all started the night Emma has a recital at school. The problem being that it was after curfew. So Emma begs Alice to go and ask their Mom. They both know Dad will refuse outright and once he says no, there's no budging him. But Mom, well she's a softer touch because she believes the girls need to live their lives, so she's more likely to her Alice out.
To both Alice and Emma's astonishment, Emma is allowed to take part in the recital and more than that, BOTH parents will be attending. 

Nobody knew it at the time, but that would be the night that changed life irrevocably. Seems like they should have listened to Dad, the monsters aren't just a figment of his imagination...

Now I can't tell you what event takes place to change life so drastically - you would read this then want to strangle me for the spoiler. So instead of giving it all away....

*presses fast forward button*

Alice has to go to school and it's a daunting prospect after the accident. Truth is, nothing will ever be the way it was meant to be. But the one good thing, the tiny light in the darkness is Kat. 
Kat is the kind of girl who calls a spade a spade. She's genuine, kind, funny, deeply sarcastic and has a tendency to flip the bird even if you so much as look at her funny. *fist pump for the awesomeness that is Kat* She is just the kind of girl that Alice needs in her life and fighting her corner. 

Now you'll have to excuse me a moment... *puts iPod on to play No Air by Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown*

Why did I put that song on? Well the answer is: Cole Holland.
There's a group of lads hanging about in the school corridor, leaning against the lockers, thinking they are cool in the way only high school students can. But one of the boys stands out. He's leaning against the lockers, but not taking part in the raucous goings on of his friends. He has a mop of dark hair underneath his baseball cap. Then there's his eyes... captivating is not the word. 
As Alice looks into this nameless boys eyes, she is drawn into their intensity and into something she just can't understand - all of a sudden his arms are around her, his lips are on hers and they can't get enough of each other.

The connection is broken but Alice can feel him looking at her and can feel her swollen lips that could only have been caused by kissing someone passionately. Only, that was just a daydream. Right? But then, how would she know his name is Cole? How could it have been real? It can't... but oh what a fantasy!

*swoons* At this point in the book I was totally hooked on both the story and on Cole. He had me wanting to know more about him and have more hot and steamy scenes. 
Now, I'm going to skip swooning over Cole (I'll get back to that after I finish typing) and get to the monsters.

It seems Alice and Cole's future's are meant to be entwined. How and why, I won't explain, but they are inextricably linked. They must fight the monsters side by side. 

What are the monsters though? Well we know from the title of the book that they are zombies, but Gena Showalter has taken such a completely different take on them that they are unlike any that I have ever met (or should I say read). Don't go into this book thinking you know everything about zombies because trust me, you don't!

How on earth are they meant to fight them? Will they ever be free of them? There just seems to be more of them coming out of the woodwork all the time.

*seals lips before spoilers come spilling out*

So now we know that Alice should've paid more attention to her Dads ravings about monsters. She should've paid more attention to his self defence classes and learned to fight better. If she had then life might never have taken the turn it did and Alice might have her whole family around.
We also know that it's Alice's job to fight these monsters, to honour her Dad and to stop herself from getting killed. We also know that it's beside Cole Holland's side that she will fight.

But what else do we know? *seals lips again* This is for you to find out for yourself. If I haven't told you enough to make you interested then I guess it just isn't your kind of book. But believe you me, you will be missing out!

I haven't read any other books by Gena Showalter before, but believe me, I will do now. She is an awesome author. The words she weaves paint pictures in your mind, okay so some of those pictures are pretty gruesome but even then, she gets inside your mind and you just can't help but feel connected to the story. You can't help rooting for Alice and Cole, both in fighting monsters and in their relationship. It's hard to explain the pull I felt but it sucked me in and didn't want to let me back out.

I laughed when they laughed, I felt low when they did, I even cried a fair few times. I have to say this book is the most fun I have had in ages. I stayed awake late into the night just to finish it because once I started reading I did not want to stop. I was swept away with both the action and the emotion.

I was actually in hospital a week or so ago when I read this. It was something to take my mind off the pain and keep me entertained. They say there's nothing like a good book to get you through a bad time, well this was a brilliant book and it stopped the boredom of hospital from leaking in. 

Thank you MIRAink for letting me have this ARC. But even bigger thanks to Gena Showalter. Firstly for writing AIZ in the first place and secondly for creating Cole Holland. He was such a perfect mix of bad boy and hot, desirable love interest. I don't know what I am going to do now because I am not looking forward to the year ahead knowing that Cole won't be there. But I guess I'll appreciate him all the more when book 2 is finally published!

Thank you to everyone who came by to read my review today. It would have been written and published sooner, but I had no wi-fi in hospital LOL.



1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm so glad you loved this Keren! It is one of my favourite reads of the year as I am a huge zombie fan girl! I am also a Cole fan girl *swoon*! I totally agree with your thoughts, fab review K! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...