Monday, 5 November 2012

Welcome To My Stop On The Blog Tour For THE TRAGEDY OF KNOWLEDGE by Rachael Wade




(The Resistance Trilogy Book #3)
Author: Rachael Wade
Source: e-ARC provided by the author
Expected Publication Date: October 25th 2012

The Battle Comes Home.

After arranging a hopeful but risky alliance during their visit to the Amaranthian realm, Camille, Gavin, and the resistance don’t have much time to recover from their failed mission. Forced to create a new strategy to achieve their goal, they embark on a different mission—one that possibly holds the missing key to their quest for victory, and their deadliest one yet.

As they attempt round two to restore peace and freedom for their kind, they must rely on help from the living, the bayous, and beyond to decipher allies from enemies, good magic from bad, and whether the source claiming to lead the way to their destiny can be trusted. Racing against the clock to solve the mystery of their fate, they find the battle has come right to their doorstep, and this time, everyone must pay a price.

Welcome to my stop on the blog tour for The Tragedy of Knowledge. 

As many of you may know, I am a HUGE fan of author Rachael Wade. When I first chanced my arm by asking her if I could review Amaranth (book #1), little did I know that I would fast become such a big fan. If there were a competition for Best Indie Author where only I could vote, ohmysweetgoodness there would be so many but I think Rachael might just come out tops. I love the way she can write in differing genres. She has written an Adult Contemporary Romance called Preservation which is utterly fantastic. I know she also has a Sci-Fi trilogy in the works for next year and I am confident I am going to love them. She's not just a one hit wonder. This woman is AMAZING!

Anyway, much as I could go on, many of you already know all this because you love her like I do. If you didn't already know it, then you do now and I bet any money you will go and look her up (click her name above for a link to her Twitter page or the title of the book to be taken to Goodreads).

I have an excerpt for you now before we get to my review...

**SPOILER ALERT**:This excerpt includes spoilers from The Gates, book 2 of the series. If you haven’t read book 2 yet, you can pick it up here.


 “All right. Look,” he said. “I’m going to come at you again from the same angle—when you’re not expecting it—and I want you to deflect my strike this time. All it takes is one stab of this silver, and you’re instantly slowed down, do you understand? It can mean the difference between living and dying. One strike will make it easier for your attacker to land another strike, and then another. Each one making you weaker. Which means seconds until you’re completely incapacitated. Then they can do whatever the hell they want to you. Think of it as paralyzing venom.”
“Gavin. I got it. We’ve been over this.” I pulled my hair tighter in the ponytail and wrapped it with an elastic tie, positioning myself in front of him again, knees bent, arms up, stance ready.
“Then get it together. I need you focused.”
“Did I mention I really don’t like your bossy side?”
“Did I mention I really hate that you don’t do as you’re told?”
He met my stance with an amused grin, rubbing his hands over his shoulders to push up his sleeves. My gaze caught the movement, zoning in on his defined arms. I swallowed, and managed, “Do as I’m told?”
“Uh huh.” He shuffled closer with slow, easy steps. “Out here, I’m not your husband. I’m not your lover. I’m your trainer. It’s my responsibility to show you how to defend yourself. And it’s your job to listen.”
“I am listening. You just make it difficult … to stay focused.”
“Oh, yeah?” He reached out and brushed a strand of hair from my forehead, letting his fingers trail slowly over my skin while he peered down at me, licking his lips. “Why do I make it difficult for you to stay focused, love? Are you having a hard time keeping up?” Pushing the hair back behind my ear, he leaned in farther, grazing his nose against my cheek, smirking when he heard me exhale a low, shaky breath.
Damn him. “You know why.”
“Do I?” His grin widened.
“You do. And I won’t give you the satisfaction of hearing it come out of my mouth.”
“Cam,” he dragged his lips across my cheekbone to the base of my ear, “I can feel it, too. You don’t have to say it, because I’m in tune with your body like never before. We’re on the same level now. All that pent-up energy, trying to claw its way out of you …” Nipping my earlobe, he let out a low chuckle and skimmed his hand underneath the hem of my shirt, tracing the waistband of my jeans with rough, teasing fingers. My entire body came alive at his touch, blood singing, knees quaking, mouth watering. His scent was divine and his lips called to me like some wicked, elemental magic.
He knew exactly what he was doing. The bastard.
More than willing to play along, I inhaled a sharp breath and reciprocated, dragging my fingers down his torso, then back up, stopping just above his navel. His mouth still near the base of my ear, his breath hitched against my skin at the contact. Encouraged, I headed south again, rubbing and teasing, feeling him grow beneath my fingers, tilting my head to the side to expose my neck. He moaned and grazed his teeth over my shoulder and down to my collarbone, dropping his blade to the ground with a loud thud.
“You make me crazy. Do you know that?” He gripped my hips and pressed me against him. “Do you feel what you do to me?”
“It’s too intense,” I whispered, my voice breathy. I was already panting when he moved to the other side of my neck, nudging my head to tilt it in the opposite direction.
“I warned you. You had a taste back in Amaranth, right after you changed.” He started on the buttons of my shirt.
“But the pull is even harder to fight now. When you touch me … I have no self-restraint. Sometimes I feel like … like I can’t handle all the extra energy. Like I’ll detonate if I don’t act.”
“That’s part of the fun.”
“Gav … we’re in an open field.”
“Hasn’t stopped you yet.” He popped two more buttons. “I know you want me. Just relax and let me make you feel good, baby. That panic lessens when you give it an outlet.”
Shutting my eyes tight, I leaned up on tiptoe and wrapped my arms around his neck to kiss him hard, then released him and slowly sashayed in the other direction, challenging him from underneath coy lashes, the need to run singing in my veins. “Fine. And I know you want me, but you’ll have to catch me first.”
His mouth fell open and his brows raised, a surprised smile pulling at the corner of his lips; he was ready to take the bait. I surged forward into a turbo-charged sprint, clear across the field toward the woods ahead, feeling him feet behind me, fast on my trail. I blew through the edge of the brush and into the thick marsh, lifting off my feet into flight, deeper and deeper into the bayou.


Now it's time for my review...

I've been sat here a while wondering what to write. There are not really enough words to describe how I felt 
after reading this book. Nor were there enough tissues to mop up all my tears, but more about that later.

As soon as I start to read a book, I begin to formulate ideas of what I will write my review. There's always something, be it a quote or a picture the book puts in my head, that I think "Oh I ought to mention that" - but then, you know, most of the time I don't end up doing so. Why? Because I think it's depriving you of the first-hand experience. That being said, you could ask the question why I write reviews at all because anything I say could be construed as depriving you. In short, I review because I want to share love of a good book - and I apologise if anything I say makes you think "Ugh she just spoiled that for me." With that in mind, I ask that you bear with me now as I get on with my review of the book, all the time considering spoilers to take out....

The Tragedy of Knowledge is the third and final book in this trilogy. Saying that alone makes my heart hurt. Why? Because although I didn't know it before I started book one, I fell in love with the characters, the setting - everything that made it what it was. 

In this final installment we see Gavin, Camille and friends really kick it up a notch. There's action aplenty as they head back to Amaranth for the last time. This time, they hope to be able to break the curse that holds Samira and all the Amaranthians in place - reverting them from frozen souls to human and freeing them so that they can live out the rest of their lives wherever they choose. 
Of course, in doing so, they would go back to being human themselves and be free of Amaranth and Samira's cruel reign forever. 

They think it's as simple as getting into Amaranth and then a few easy steps later they're all free. But what is it they say about  nothing in life ever being easy? Well whoever said that sure was telling the truth.

It's not all that long since leaving Amaranth the last time with a plan in mind that along with the Resistance they would come back and rescue everybody. Gavin and Camille need much longer than they end up getting to rest and recuperate. But as some would say 'fate is wholly inexorable' and being thus, fate gives them a swift reminder that they are to get back to Amaranth before there is nothing left to save.

[takes out spoiler about how they get to Amaranth]

Once in the city, they realise that things are going a little bit too easy for them. Gerard should have come through the portal by now and been trying to stop them from executing their plan. So why isn't he?
But they don't have time to worry about that, they have to do what they came to do. Using Camille and her link to the Book of the Ancients, they have to figure out how to free the frozen souls and get out of there.
Trouble is, the book only gives them small clues at any one time and it's getting beyond annoying that it won't just open up and reveal everything. After all, if this book is 'all knowing' it could just tell them what they need to know. But as we know, nothing is ever that simple.

Anyway, I won't spoil it for you by telling you any more. All I can tell you is what ensued had me sitting on the edge of my seat wondering who would actually triumph in the end. There were times when I thought it would be Gerard. Times when I thought that Samira would go back on her word. Even times when I thought that Scarlet may triumph. It was gritty and action-packed, all the things I had come to expect from Rachael's writing. There's always twists and turns. My motto when reading her books is 'expect the unexpected' because she always manages to surprise you.


I won't lie, the ending to this book had me in tears. I was crying, smiling, having to grab tissues fast because I was just a mess. It wasn't at all what I had thought it would be. But it was a fantastic ending, befitting of the trilogy.

Like I said earlier, Rachael Wade is a fantastic author and I will be forever grateful to her for taking a chance on a newbie reviewer back when she gave me Amaranth. Then she allowed me to be on the blog tours for The Gates and The Tragedy of Knowledge. So, Rachael, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me the chances that you have. I only wish this wasn't the end of The Resistance Trilogy. Alas I must say goodbye to some of my favourite characters in fiction - Gavin and Camille are one of my all time favourite couples.

Thank you everyone who came by today to read my review. I hope you'll come back soon!





2 comments:

  1. Keren, there are truly no words for how thankful I am for you and how moved and humbled I am by your comments and review. By now, it must sound like a broken record, but seriously--your support means THE WORLD to me. Thank you for all you do for authors. You're a gem to the reading, writing, and book blogging communities.

    Love you to the moon,
    Rachael
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you Rach - whenever I feel like quitting blogging, I remember that people like you actually choose me time and again for reviews.
      I am humbled by how time and again you choose me for your blog tours.
      But I'm telling you now I will be so sad if you don't send me Reservation ;)

      Love you Girl!! <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...