Saturday, 15 December 2012

Review of LOVE AND RELATIVITY by Rachael Wade


Author: Rachael Wade
Publication Date: December 12th 2012
Source: e-copy provided by the author for review

"Love, life, and happily ever after? It’s all relative.

Marine biology student Emma Pierce lives in paradise—geographically speaking, anyway. Stranded on Sanibel Island, Florida, she works at a nursing home by day and spends her nights dodging the island's infamous bad boy, Jackson Taylor, at her favorite karaoke bar. Trying to heal from the loss of her sister and a failed relationship she rerouted her life for, she's ready to graduate and finally leave Florida behind.

When a run-in with Jackson and his rowdy crew goes sour at the bar one night, sparks fly and irreversible damage is done. It’s no secret that Jackson loves to get underneath her skin, but this time he's gone too far. Now all he wants is to earn her forgiveness before she's gone for good, but their ideas of closure—and the future—are enough to keep them worlds apart."

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings*

Have you ever read a book that made you laugh, cry, get excited, get infuriated and eventually you find yourself emotionally numb? If not, then prepare yourself and read Love and Relativity. 
I can honestly say, even though the year is not yet over, this is my favourite book of 2012. It's an emotional roller coaster for the characters, but also for you the reader. 

Emma Pierce doesn't do casual flings. She wants a serious relationship with someone who loves her as much as she loves them. 
Jackson Taylor doesn't do serious relationships. He goes from girl to girl. Bed-hopping is almost like a sport and if it was in the Olympics, Jackson would surely win gold. 

Emma is studying marine biology, hoping to get into a university in Seattle. Her sister Jen passed away recently and Emma feels like she needs to live the dream. It was Jen's dream to travel and so Emma feels like she should fulfill it. She's getting over the loss of a long and steady relationship, because Chris cheated on her and so she feels the need to pack up and leave Florida behind forever. 
But is she really leaving for herself or because it was Jen and their mom's dream to travel? And in the end, does it matter who's dream it is, as long as she fulfills it?

Jackson has known Emma for years and he always tries to get her to see him the way he sees her. On a Friday night at Pete's, he knows she goes in with her best friend Whitney, so when he goes in with his friends to play pool, he always sidles up and flirts with her. But Emma never gives in to his flirtations. She doesn't want to be just another notch on his bedpost. Doesn't stop him trying though, right?!

On a Friday night, Emma and Whitney go to Pete's, share a shrimp basket, get drunk and then Emma gets up on the karaoke with Jackson to belt out a tune by Sublime. It's been a tradition for a while now, that and the fact that Jackson comes and flirts with her. She knows he's a serial bed-hopper but she can't help the attraction she has for him. His charisma and magnetism coupled with his tanned body, 'elevator sex' hair and beautiful eyes, all make for a racing pulse. But she knows she can't go there. She wants serious, he's just looking for a good time...

Emma can't but help but remember the night her sister Jen died and how Jackson came to her rescue as she was at the side of the road. He wrapped her in a blanket and took her home, he held her and the silence wasn't an uncomfortable one. Jackson was her rock. He let her sit there without pushing her to talk. He let her in time and time again as she felt the need for the safety and comfort that came with visiting him. 

Somehow, Jackson has gotten under her skin. He's an itch she can't scratch even though she desperately wants to. She knows what it's like to kiss those soft, sensuous lips. They've shared a couple of kisses before. But never more than that.... Until... one night she caves in and goes home with him.

Can she do casual? Can Jackson do serious? They fight what they are feeling whilst they are both wondering if they cross each others minds. 

At this point in the book, I was really rooting for a happy ending for them because I had fallen totally in love with Jack. He got under my skin. This was my Goodreads status at 37% into the book....
"My heart is on the verge of breaking for Jack and Em right now. I am really rooting for a happy ending, I think they deserve one. I'll be heartbroken if they don't end up together."

I have to be honest, this book had really gotten to me. I was hook, line and sinker invested in the story and characters. 
I was reminded of a song by one of my favourite bands, Our Kind of Love by Lady Antebellum. The lyrics in particular were "Just like driving on an open highway, never knowing what we're gonna find. Just like two kids baby, always trying to live it up, woah yeah that's our kind of love"

At 50% in, I was more than ready to get into the book and knock the pair of their heads together. I couldn't hold back the tears. This was my Goodreads status...
"OMSG can tears come down in an avalanche? Is that possible? If it is, that's what's just happened to me. Every time I read a book by Rachael Wade, I know I can't fight back the inevitable crying, but I hope to ward it off as long as possible. This time it was the halfway point and I blew a gasket. Damn I need to wash my tear streaked face!!!!!"

That was the first time I cried but I knew it wouldn't be the last. How right was I when I got to 67%, I cried yet again. My Goodreads status went like this...
"So yet another deluge of tears. I can't stop crying this time though. All I can do is taste salt as they wend their way inevitably onto my lips and into my mouth. Damn you Jackson, you stubborn bastard *goes back to reading and crying and wiping my eyes on my sleeve*"

As you can probably tell, I was more than a little frustrated at this point.Imagine how I felt when I got to 72% and had to put the book down and physically walk away. I turned off my Kindle and went to bed. I just couldn't read any more. This was my Goodreads status... 
"I can't cry any more tonight, I have a headache. I'm going to bed and will tackle the last 28% tomorrow when I think I can face it. That's the thing, I physically need to walk away from this book because I'm so angry. Jackson Taylor is undeniably a bastard but I (like Emma) love him anyway!"

I couldn't help but be reminded of one of my favourite songs. This song is the absolute epitome of Em and Jack....I Run To You by Lady Antebellum....

"I run from hate
I run from prejudice
I run from pessimists
But I run too late
I run my life
Or is it running me
Run from my past
I run too fast
Or too slow it seems
When lies become the truth
That's when I run to you

[Chorus]
This world keeps spinning faster
Into a new disaster so I run to you
I run to you baby
And when it all starts coming undone
Baby you're the only one I run to
I run to you..."

The following morning, I thought I would finish the last few chapters off. What I wasn't prepared for was to have to put it down again after only one chapter. That chapter was filled with so much emotion that I was crying like a newborn baby. So I put it down for a couple of hours until I had composed myself enough to read the end. 
At this point, I was determined to see the book through to the end in one last sitting. I knew there was going to be at least one more time where I cried. I could see it coming a mile off. But what I didn't prepare for was to cry another THREE times!! 

I was reminded of another of my favourite songs... Need You Now by Lady Antebellum....

 This book was such an emotional journey that I really should have had an extra large box of tissues beside me as I read. When I first picked it up, I didn't realise what I was in for. If I had, I would have packed a bag for the trip.

Rachael Wade is one of my favourite authors. She has been since I read her Resistance Trilogy. Then I read Preservation which was amazing. I am really looking forward to reading the sequel, Reservation because we get to see some more of Em and Jack. The thought of that makes me really happy. 

I love Rachael's style of writing so much because she doesn't just write a book. It's not just any story. No, it's a journey, an experience. She makes me want to dive into the book and stay there forever. In the case of Love and Relativity, I really wanted to get in there and bang Em and Jack's heads together and make them see that although from the outside it looks like they want different things, they really should just get together and see where it takes them. You don't know if you don't try, right?!

It was a complicated situation for the two of them, there were secrets, lies and skeletons in the closet that if I disclosed right now, you would hate me for ruining the story for you. So all I will tell you is that although they have their ups and downs, Em and Jack really are perfect for each other. 

I have a thing for happy endings, for passionate love stories. If you do too, please pick up a copy of this amazing book.

Thank you all for coming by to read my review. I hope it makes you want to buy the book.











4 comments:

  1. LOVE your review! I'm so going to have to buy this book, thanks for sharing what sounds like a great book with me!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberly. I really hope you pick up a copy :D xo

      Delete
  2. This book was emotional? Your REVIEWS are emotional. Wow, Keren. Once again I'm blown away and just beyond humbled. So grateful for your time and effort in reading and reviewing this.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and all the best to you in 2013!

    Love,
    Rachael
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach! I always adore your books, but this may be your best yet!!

      Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, may 2013 be your best yet and bring us readers many more of your awesomelicious books!!

      Love Kez xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...