Wednesday, 5 December 2012

The Next Big Thing


So, what's this post all about? Well, my wonderful author friend Cheryse Durrant asked me if I wanted to take part in something called 'The Next Big Thing' - "What's that?" I hear you ask. I'll tell you...

The author answers 10 questions about their new/next/most recent novel/novella/collection/whatever before tagging another 5 authors who have to do the same thing one week later. And we all FB and/or tweet about it.

So I guess that means it's time for me to come out of the woodwork and actually talk about my WIP. Until recently, it's been a closely guarded secret as I have not long started writing it, even though I have been thinking about it for a while. 

1) What is the working title of your next book?
Well, it's actually my first book and it's called Stolen.

2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
I've been playing around with the idea for months. Jotting things down in my notebook, you know; character descriptions and stuff. 
I am, as a lot of people will know, mainly a YA reviewer. So when it comes to my story idea, it's because I hadn't seen any other books on the market that were about the same kind of thing. 

3) What genre does your book fall under?
It's a Paranormal Romance.

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Well, that's a bit of a tough question. Ideally...
Roshanna would be played by Nina Dobrev. She's gorgeous and is the face I see when I write Shanna's character.
Bodhi would be played by Chris Hemsworth. He's a little old for the part I guess, but then no younger people I've seen have the look that fits. Chris is who I imagine as I write Bodhi.
Marissa would be played by Rachelle Lafevre. Though I suppose she's a touch old for the role because Marissa is only 16. The reason I think of her when I write Issa is because of the flame red hair Rachelle had in Twilight. Issa dyes her curly hair a flame red. 
And Uncle Joe would be played by someone like Jeremy Irons. I don't have a clear picture of Joe in my head yet as his character is still taking shape.

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

I really don't know how to answer in one sentence, but I'll give you a little of what it's about:

When Roshanna's parents are murdered, she has to go and live with her only relative; Uncle Joe. That means moving from the small town of Cypress Hill where she has lived all her life, across the country to Round Rock, Texas. She knows no-one there and hasn't even seen Uncle Joe in 6 years; but Bodhi -Uncle Joe's chauffeur -becomes someone on which she can rely.
When it comes to venturing on a journey to retrieve her parents stolen souls; Bodhi accompanies Roshanna. What starts as friendship between them has the potential to blossom into more... if only Roshanna can achieve her goal of obtaining Veronica and Leonard's souls and setting them free...

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I have chosen to self-publish rather than face potential rejection by publishing houses. I haven't got the greatest self-esteem and couldn't handle the knock-backs very well. Though having said that, I have been in contact with someone who is forming an independent publishers who she said she likes the sound of my book and I should approach her when I am finished so we'll see. 

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

I haven't finished my first draft yet, I'm not even halfway through. 

8)  What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Honestly, I don't know. There are possibly some out there, but I have yet to come across any personally. 

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book? 
Being a reviewer is possibly what inspired me the most. No, I don't think that just because I read and review books that I can write one; I just mean that reviewing is what's launched me into the world of YA reading.
I now have many author and blogger friends who inspire me each and every day.
I wrote the first 6 chapters and sent it out to a few people who agreed to BETA read for me. They said they loved it and so I was inspired further to keep going. 

10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?

Well, there's murder, mystery, friendship and romance. I think those ingredients might make readers want to pick up my book. 


I have decided to ask these authors to participate in The Next Big Thing...

Kelly Hashway; where to find Kelly: kellyhashwayblogspot.com
Rachael Wade; where to find Rachael:  RachaelWade.com
Author D X Luc; where to find De: The Island of D X Luc
and 
Joanne Cattell; where to find Jo: Dreams Are What Make Writing Happen

So thank you all for coming by today. I hope you enjoyed reading my answers. Thank you Cher for asking me to participate and for forcing me out of the darkness to talk about my book. 
I hope everyone enjoyed learning about The Next Big Thing and that you'll visit each authors blog for their answers and maybe even visit the blogs of their nominations too! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...