Thursday, 6 December 2012

Welcome To My Stop On The Blog Tour For Reckoning by Molly Hall





Title: RECKONING
Author: Molly M. Hall
Source: e-copy provided by RABT
Publication Date: October 2nd 2012

 "They say the truth can set you free. I found out it can kill you."

Seventeen-year-old Kat Matheson has never revealed the dark secret that sets her apart from everyone else: She can see and hear the dead. Until now, she has been able to ignore the strange apparitions and whispering voices. But it may not be that simple anymore. Haunted by eerie visions and increasingly frightening nightmares, Kat begins to fear she may be the target of a dark and ominous force from beyond the grave. Complicating matters is the arrival of her new neighbor, a young man she instinctively distrusts but is inexplicably drawn to. Gorgeous and mysterious, he seems to hold a disturbing knowledge of her long-held secrets.

As she desperately tries to maintain control, events take an unexpected and violent turn. Discovering that nothing is what it seems and that her psychic abilities may involve far more than just communing with the dead, Kat may be forced to confront her worst fears and the powerful curse that controls her destiny.


Excerpt:


“Let me see your hands,” he says, moving towards me.

“What?” I exclaim, surprised by the request.
“Let me see your hands,” he repeats.
Confused, I hold out my hands, wondering what his intentions are. He turns them over, spreading my palms flat, while his thumbs trace slow tracks across the surface. Tingling tremors shoot through my wrists and up my arms. Resisting the urge to pull back, I stand there stiffly, watching the gentle, gliding movement of his fingers.
“You have gifts other than music,” he says.
My brows draw together in puzzlement. “What do you mean? How can you tell?”
“Look. See this mark?” He points to a small line on the side of my palm. “It’s called the Line of Mars. It means you have great courage.”
I stifle the urge to laugh. Me? Great courage? You should have seen me the other night, I think, jumping out of my skin at the touch of my cat. Then I immediately sober. Maybe he did.
His finger moves lower, towards my wrist. “And you have a voyage line. It means you might abandon everything. To go on a journey. Or for love.” He looks up at me.
“Hmm,” I reply nonchalantly, hoping he can’t feel the racing of my pulse. “Not likely. Where did you learn this, anyway?”
“A Hindu priest in India taught me. A long time ago. I’ve never known it to be wrong.” He bends his head back to my hands. “And this is interesting.”
“What?”
His finger traces what looks like an ‘X’ right below my ring finger. “You have the Mystic Cross.” His eyes move back up to mine, holding me with their blue intensity.
“What does that mean?” I ask softly.
“It means you have strong psychic abilities.” His middle finger glides across my palm and a shiver runs down my spine. “Not everybody has that, you know. It makes you special.”
My heart starts to pound in my chest, and my breathing becomes shallow and uneven. Get a hold of yourself, Kat. He’s probably just making it all up.
“So…what? I can, like, predict the future or something?” I try to keep my voice neutral.
“Yeah. Something like that.” The words are simple, just a casual statement. But the way he looks at me when he says them gives them more meaning. As if he knows what I see.
I snatch my hand away and step out of the booth. I’d known all along coming here with him was a bad idea. But I’d done it anyway. “Whatever. I don’t believe in any of that stuff.”


My Review:
*I hereby award this book 5 wings!*


Let's start with some cover love. I took one look at this cover and fell in love. It's dark and ethereal, just the kind of thing I adore. 

Reckoning was a great book from beginning to end. I admit it was the blurb that intrigued me when I was asked by RABT to be on the blog tour but it was the fun writing style and content of the story that kept me hooked. 
I finished this book in 2 sittings, it would have been 1 but I had to go to bed at some point. I literally had to fight to keep my eyes open because I wanted to keep reading but finally sleep won the battle. 
The thing I found most interesting about this book is something I am much looking forward to finding out more about in book 2; the fact that Katriona can see things that other people can't. I can't explain too much because I'll give it all away, but it was very compelling, it's what kept me reading. 

Up until now, Kat has been able to ignore the girl in the pink dress that she keeps seeing and the whispering voices she hears. But as time goes on, things kepp happening and it is getting harder for Kat to put out of her mind. 
She wonders if she's crazy. Why can she see and hear things that other people can't? How is it she was pushed down the stairs at school when no-one was behind her, yet she goes home and sees red hand shaped marks on her back? How is any of this possible? Is it real or has Kat just got a vivid imagination?

Then there's another reason to keep reading the book. Well two reasons really. Those reasons? Rick and Lovell. *Swoons* Rick is the boy that Kat has had a crush on all year and her best friend keeps telling her that she's sure he's into her and she should make a move. But Kat is too shy for that. 
Lovell is the handsome new next door neighbour. He's definitely swoonworthy but Kat seems only to have eyes for Rick, even though she doesn't think he even knows she exists. 

So when Rick invites Kat to a party at his house, her friend tells her she must go, that this is the chance to find out if he likes her for real. I mean, he's invited her to the party, and not just a casual "Hey I'm having a party, you should come" - no, Rick actually makes sure to invite her specifically. 

Whether he likes her or not, I really can't say. But I do enjoy the interactions between the two of them. 
Talking of enjoyable interactions, I love Lovell. There's something about him that in the beginning you can't put your finger on, but does later go on to be explained. 
Plus, you get to experience him coming out of the shower wearing nothing but a towel round his waist, a smile on his face and rivulets of water running over his abs. Do I really need to say more?!

This story sucks you in from the beginning because of the easy, fun writing style that Molly Hall has. It's quirky and really makes you turn the pages. The story is a lot of fun and I can't wait for the next book because the way this one ended made me try and turn more pages. I was at the end and absolutely desperately needed there to be more. So you can count on me to finish reading however many books are in the series and write reviews as I go along. 

Thank you RABT for the chance to be on this tour. I may never have read this book otherwise because I hadn't even heard of it until I got the invite.

Thank you Molly for weaving a world in which I hope to get lost in the future. Thank you also for creating the dreamy boys. I don't know whether to be Team Rick or Team Lovell. Usually when I read, I manage to pick my team quite easily but you have given me two delicious boys for my lust to be torn between!






Author Bio:

I’ve spent most of my life in Colorado and currently live just outside of Denver. I write my books on a laptop perched atop a rather creaky desk, surrounded by two crazy and loving cats. I love to travel and have visited 27 of the 50 states, as well as Canada, Ireland and England. And there are still a lot of places I want to go.
I spent entirely too many years in the gray dullness of the corporate world, imagining something more exciting as I punched numbers on a keyboard. During that time, I worked on a degree in English Literature, but never quite managed to complete it. Mostly because I was too busy reading and creating fantasy worlds in my head. It’s actually my love of reading and imagining that led me to take up writing full time. I thought I should finally give all the characters in my head a voice.
Music is a huge part of my life and plays a big role in the creation of my books. Although I listen to everything from Johann Sebastian Bach and Dvorak, to Glen Miller and Bobby Darin, to Rihanna and Nox Arcana, as well as movie and video game soundtracks, there are two bands whose music is practically my lifeblood: Daughtry and Linkin Park. I will listen to or see them live anytime, anywhere.
I’m a fan of British television, Doctor Who (favorite doctor? David Tennant. Let the debate begin!), The Vampire Diaries, Japanese animé, Ghost Hunters, MI-5 and Eureka. And anything featuring James McAvoy. And I probably would never be able to unwind without That 70′s Show.
When I’m not reading and writing, you'll probably find me listening to music, practicing yoga, working on my very inadequate French, playing piano, enjoying a lovely glass of red wine or champagne, or looking for inspiring landscapes to photograph.

10 Things Readers Would Be Surprised To Know About Me:


1. I don’t drink coffee. It literally makes me sick.

2. I like snakes and reptiles. They're fascinating.
3. I like to visit cemeteries. It's a phenomenal lesson in history and humility.
4. I lived for several months at an elevation of 10,152 feet. It was cold.
5. I can read upside down. And that doesn't mean standing on my head.
6. I own close to 2,000 books. I stopped counting after 1,000.
7. I can move my ears without touching them. Really.
8. I've lived in Colorado most of my life, but have never gone skiing or snowboarding. A fan of snow? Not so much.
9. I play classical piano and flute. The flute's a little rusty.
10. I have two tattoos. But I'm not going to tell you where.

Contact Links:


Twitter - @mollymhallbooks



Buy Links:





Thank you all for coming by today! Hope to see you here again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...