Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Welcome To My Stop On The Blog Tour For 'Your Guardian Angel' by Skyla Madi


Welcome To My Stop On The Blog Tour . Today I bring you an Excerpt and a Guest Post From Skyla about starting out writing, as well as my review of this amazing book. 


Author: Skyla Madi
Publication Date: 4th December 2012
Source: e-copy provided by RABT for review as part of the blog tour


"For Ruby Moore life is far more complicated than that of your average teen, for she is in no way average. Ruby is a vampire and her life as a vampire is far from traditional.

It has been one year since her normal life was brutally taken from her. Still adjusting to the shock of the change from mortal to immortal, her world is rocked again and she is taken under the wings of a guardian angel back to Sage Sanctum- a school beyond reach from the vampires that are determined to destroy her. 

There, she is freed from her vampiric chains and her normal needs and urges return. However a new urge arises… Lust. A forbidden lust toward her savior, her guardian angel.

Attempting to control these desires is difficult, very difficult and when things couldn't possibly get any worse, her situation becomes life or death as someone, somewhere in the school is aiding those who want her dead."

Excerpt: 

Paragraph One
I reached the girls’ toilets and sat on the steps before the entrance, breathing easier now. Venom trickled into my mouth rapidly; I inhaled deeply as I picked up a strange scent. A scent so sweet and delicious, it immediately took me back to when I was a child. Every Saturday, Mum would take me to the bakery on the corner, down the road from our house. The smells of the fresh bread and sweet pastries came rushing back to me. I found myself inhaling deeper, trying to absorb as much of it as I could. It was coming from around the corner of the building. I couldn’t resist, I stood up and followed the scent.
This is a bad idea, I thought. I would have to kill whatever was hiding around this corner. I didn’t have the strength to resist whatever it was. Something so delicious smelling wasn’t going to get away from me. I pondered the taste and more venom gushed into my mouth. I neared the corner, and even though instinct in my body told me to ignore it, I turned the corner anyway. I needed to taste it. Every urge in my body had been defeated and I was left alone with the unavoidable appetite to feed, to bite into its body, and drink away at the sweetest blood I had ever had the pleasure of smelling. It was a scent like no other, taking control over every aspect of my thoughts. I was left with nothing else but to act upon the urge to drink the deliciousness that was flowing through someone’s heated veins. I put one foot onto the concrete and turned around the corner.
“Ugh!” I grunted.
My head hit the brick wall, hard. A scream pierced my ears—It was mine.

Paragraph Two
Glass hit my face and Darren was knocked into the wall, he didn’t move. He was out cold. A hard object hit my chest and I was pinned to the floor. The smell and the feel of it made it obvious, it was another vampire. Hank? No. this vampire was an old one. The older vampires get, the stronger they are.
“Hello, half cast,” he whispered.
Fear shot down my spine, my body was shaking. There was a bitter taste in the back of my mouth that I couldn’t seem to swallow. My breath was coming out in uneven gasps. I didn’t know what to do and I could barely think over the rising tide of cold fear in my chest. My eyes began burning with tears and I realized they were squeezed shut. I opened them slowly and my heart leapt into my throat. His face was white; his eyes were black and sunken deep into his skull. The veins that ran under his skin stood out and his wry smirk exposed two big fangs.
“What do you want?” I cried.
“I know what you are, goddess,” he growled. “I’m not the only one that knows, either. Last I heard, Hank was after you as well.”
I flinched at Hank’s name.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m a vampire, not a goddess.”
He moved his hands to my throat and squeezed hard. The pressure would have turned human bones into powder, but for me, it was only enough force to cause discomfort.
“Do not play dumb with me; I can rip your head off in one swift move. I’m going to have to kill you before Hank gets the chance to—”
Before he could finish his sentence, I heard footsteps. I inhaled deeply through my nose as familiar scent filled the air, so sweet and delicious. Could my night get any worse? The old vampire smelt them, too; he reacted quickly, but the others were a step ahead. A man threw silver chain mail on top of the vampire before he could get up. He screamed in pain as a man with short dark hair pierced the vampire’s heart with a stake. The vampire exploded into dust, leaving the chain mail to fall directly onto my body. I screamed in agony; there was no doubt that Camilla and Aunt Jen heard it. The pain was excruciating, it was as if acid was being poured all over my body. Another scream escaped my body as the man that killed the vampire pulled the net off me and quickly scooped me up into his arms. Instantly I could feel my body healing. I felt weak, like I always did when my body healed itself. My body jolted and cool air hit my face; we were outside. I could hear the thudding music from my party getting further and further into the distance.
“Where are you taking me?” My voice was quiet and drained.
“Rest.”
I flinched; someone injected something into my neck and as I slowly became drowsy, there was no doubt it was the same serum that made me pass out yesterday.
“Happy Birthday to me,” I mumbled sarcastically. I couldn’t pin point it, but there was something reassuring about his voice. I put all my faith into that, letting my body take me away into a deep, recovering sleep.
“Happy Birthday,” he whispered.


My Review:
*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings*

Where to start this review, I really don't know. There are so many things I could sit and gush about all day, but that would spoil your own reading journey. What can I say without spoiling it? Well... For a start, I want to prepare you for your next book boyfriend. His name is Eli De Luca, the name alone is swoon-worthy but the man himself is even more amazing.
My first true (fictional) love was Dimitri (Dimka) Belikov from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead and I have to say that the pedestal he once had all to himself is now shared by Eli De Luca. 
He is a Guardian Angel entrusted with the care of Ruby Moore. He is H.O.T hot and there is no denying the chemistry between him and Ruby, even though it is forbidden. But isn't a taste of the forbidden fruit even more exotic? I think so. It's more dangerous and alluring. All words that could also be used in a character description for Eli.
So, anyway, before I end up making this a review of Eli and not the book, I best put him to the back of my mind [very hard to do]. 

Ruby Moore lives with her mom and life would be good if it wasn't for the fact that Hank (Ruby's step-father) turns up and all goes to Hell in a handbasket. See, the thing is, Hank has become a vampire. He's come back to drain both Ruby and her mother as they are pure souls and that is what a vampire needs to survive. 

[spoiler removed]

Ruby's life as a weak vampire completely sucks. She's neither a fully fledged vamp, nor a normal human being. She can do things other vamps can't, like go out in the sunlight. But ultimately there are things such as super-human speed and strength that she doesn't have. 

[spoiler removed]

Ruby is taken to a place called Sage Sanctum where she must be kept outside of the school grounds because she is a vampire and the students are Guardian Angels, Gods and Goddesses. But Mr Alexsandrov - the head teacher - takes Ruby to a cabin where her mother used to live. He tells her that her mother always meant for Ruby to come to Sage when she was old enough and that the cabin used to belong to her mother. 
She is protected by Tay and Eli, two angels tasked with watching over her until she can be turned into what she was always meant to be, a Goddess. 

In time, Ruby is allowed to attend Sage Sanctum with the rest of the students. Most of them don't know what she was before, but some manage to find out and try to give her a hard time. But Ruby is such a kick-A heroine in this wonderful story and she takes no nonsense. She settles in to life at school, even though the lessons about plants and stuff are pretty boring. 
The best thing about school for Ruby is that she gets to see Eli. She wasn't even thinking about boys until he came into her life and now all she can do is think about how handsome he is and how she longs to feel his soft lips upon hers. 

I have to be honest, everything Ruby was feeling, I was feeling alongside her. I had this rapidly developing crush and I was urging Eli to give in to his desire and kiss her. You could tell they both wanted each other, the tension was palpable. But a relationship between a Goddess and a Guardian Angel is forbidden. Goddesses like Ruby should be mating with Gods. But Ruby doesn't let a little thing like that keep her from trying to get time alone with Eli at every possible opportunity.

So before I spoil the entire book, I'll finish by saying this...

Skyla Madi is an incredible author. Her writing sucks you in and you fall heart first into this amazing book. I have always loved anything to do with Angels and this is one book that I rank up there with the most incredible of them.
This is a fast-paced, thrilling, heart-string-pulling roller coaster ride of a book and I cannot wait to pick up a copy of Sun-Kissed and fall back into the world that I didn't want to leave. Skyla weaves a little magic into her characters and makes them something special. 
The good guys have you rooting for them and the bad guys have you wanting to get in there and land a few well placed punches yourself. You feel the anger building and just wish that you could get in there and knock their heads together.

So if you are looking to find your next favourite book, then look no further! For fans of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books, if your heart belongs to Dimka, come and see if your heart strings are pulled in the direction of Eli. I swear, you won't be sorry.

Thank you to RABT for providing me with this copy of Your Guardian Angel and thank you for giving me the chance to fall in love with this seductive book.
Thank you Skyla for writing this book. for giving me a world to get lost in and characters to have fun getting to know. I really want a signed paperback copy of this book (already asked Skyla if I can purchase one).

I am aiming to get 2 symbols from this book tattooed on March 9th, so come back then and I will attach the pictures to this post. I am having the Goddess symbol and the Feather. If you want to know why they are symbolic, READ THIS BOOK.

If you need anymore convincing than this, then this book probably isn't for you ;)

Guest Post From Skyla...

 Starting Out As A Writer – 5 Things You Should Know:

1.       Take your time and don’t rush your writing.  You’ll regret it later.

2. Expect rejections and don’t let them get to you. Rejections from publishers can be a little depressing, but they are also a critical part of the writing process—nothing motivates me more than someone that tells me NO.

3. Research publishing companies carefully. Make sure you’re getting the best deal for your book.

4. Don’t let bad reviews get to you. Before my first book was published I’d have all kinds of horrible dreams about bad reviews and I’d freak out and email my publisher (who was very supportive). At the end of the day, bad reviews don’t matter. Not everyone is going to like it and that’s okay. Once you get one or two bad reviews it gets easier to brush off.

5. If writing is something you love to do, don’t let it turn into something that stresses you out. Take breaks when you need to or do something else for a little while and come back to it later.




Author Bio:
Skyla Madi was born in the small town of Port Maquarie, New South Wales in 1993. She spent half her life growing up in Wauchope, a thriving rural town at
the heart of the Hastings River Valley before making the leap to the busy city of
Brisbane.

Whenever this young Australian writer isn’t changing diapers, watching cartoons,
cooking for her husband or doing other motherly-wife things she is actively
working on her writing and improving her writing skills.

Skyla loves to read just as much as she loves to write and since discovering
that YA/paranormal romance/urban fantasy/ are her favourite genres, she has
embarked on her own writing journey and is currently working on a YA series
titled ‘Your Guardian Angel’.


Buy Links :





Thank you to everyone who came by today to read my review. Hope to see you all again soon. If you come back after March 9th, you'll see my tattoos! :D



PS: Here's the picture of the tattoos, as promised:



2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...