Saturday, 20 April 2013

Review of Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Title: APOLLYON
Publication Date: April 9th 2013
Source: ARC provided by Spencer Hill Press for review

"Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself."

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings!*

First of all, let me tell you, I have no idea how to write a review for this book. This book is the BEST Covenant novel, and possibly the best book of 2013 so far. There aren't really enough words to sum up how I felt and I don't feel I could articulate them well enough if there were. Jennifer L. Armentrout always writes books that blow me away and Apollyon was no different. Well it was, it blew me away even more than the others. 
*stalls, thinking of words to describe this amount of awesomeness* 
I could talk all day about how much this book rocks, but I'd probably end up spoiling it for you and I don't want to do that. If you haven't read any of the Covenant novels, may I suggest you pick them all up and read them AT ONCE. You don't know what you are missing. From the crazy characters she creates, to the setting, these books are amazing. You get sucked in in an instant and you endure a roller coaster ride with exceptional twists and turns. You think you're starting to get to grips with things but then Jennifer throws a spanner in the works - she had you fooled for a while, then she turned the tables and what you thought you knew is no longer.

Apollyon is the book I have been most looking forward to out of the series, though now it is replaced by Sentinel, the final novel. I can't wait until January 2014, it's too far away. 

So, do I give you a quick summary of what happens? I'm really not sure what to do here because in my reviews, I usually give a brief summary of the book and then my feelings on it. But I feel if I do that here, I'm going to end up talking forever and giving away all the important moments that you need to experience for yourself. 
I think it's suffice to say, this book is the most shocking, the biggest roller coaster of them all. I was happy, I was sad, I cried, I wanted to punch Seth or strangle him until his oesophagus disintegrated. 
That brings me to a good point actually, Seth. Some readers love him and are on 'Team Seth' - which by the way I don't understand how that's possible - and some readers hate him; I'm totally on 'Team Hate Seth'. He's a dumbass jerk. Why? Well if you've read the novels up to this point, you'll have a good idea why I say this. But if you haven't, well let me lay it down for you. In the beginning, I thought Seth was quite sweet, he seemed kind, compassionate, genuine. I even played for 'Team Seth' for about 5 minutes. But then the façade seemed to crack and we saw the Seth who uses Alex. Back when he asked her to 'see where they went' he seemed genuine, but then although he hadn't agreed to be exclusive with her, he cheated on her. Which I feel was totally out of order. He uses Alex to get what he wants and never tells her the full truth. He might only see it as lying by omission but I see it as bare faced lies. He knows things and he should share them with Alex because those things affect her life too, but he doesn't. What he doesn't seem to think of is that when Alex awakens, she will have the knowledge of all the Apollyons that went before her. He doesn't seem to know that he's hurting Alex. This is when we think Seth could be good. But then he goes and shows another side of himself which I class as full on evil - then you're stuck not knowing who the 'real' Seth is because he's the boy who cried wolf - you never know when to believe him any more. He could be a good guy that got swept away with his 'God Complex' and the thought of becoming the God Killer, having that kind of power can warp you. I like to think that in end, we will see that he was just being used and the power made him crazy for a while - in the end, I want him to be a good guy who was just misled.

Anyway, enough about Seth. I'm 'Team Aiden' - although there was about 5 minutes where I thought he was a bit of a fool. But then I came to realise why he had been acting the way he was and I quickly forgave him and was back on the Team Aiden wagon.
I am so in love with Aiden it's untrue. He's one of my biggest fictional crushes. In Apollyon, the way he stands and fights for Alex, even when she has her 'Evil Alex' period, makes me realise what a good, kind, compassionate man he is and he would do anything for the woman he loves.
I loved reading his novella, Elixir. It made me see just what lengths he would go to for the woman he is madly in love with. He really would go to the end of the Earth and back if that's what he needed to do. That's what you want in a love interest in a story. You want him to cherish the woman and not necessarily put her on a pedestal but worship her enough to do what needs to be done, even when what needs to be done isn't particularly a nice thing.

So, have I rambled enough? Probably! Should I say more? I don't know. Jennifer has created the perfect characters, whether good guy or bad. She knows just what to do to press every emotional button I have. There is this perfect balance that she achieves and I am in awe of that fact. As an Indie Author myself, if I could aspire to be any author, it would come down to a select few and Jennifer would be amongst them.

I am really excited to see how everything ends in Sentinel. It's probably the one book I am most looking forward to reading. I know it will be an action packed, fast-paced, thrill of a ride. All I can say is, bring it on Jen. I can't wait to see what's in store to make the series go out with a bang!

Thank you Spencer Hill Press for being awesome and sending me an ARC of this brilliant book. 
Thank you Jennifer for creating the Covenant series. I am glad I took a chance on a book with a pretty cover when I first saw Daimon on Amazon. I had no clue what I was letting myself in for, but I love the results.

Thank you to everyone who came by to read my review today. I hope to see you all again soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...