Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Review of WALKING DISASTER by Jamie McGuire


Author: Jamie McGuire
Publication Date: April 2nd 2013
Source: eARC provided by Atria via Net Galley


"Finally, the highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Can you love someone too much?
Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes"


*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings!*



What can I say about this book? It was simply amazing! Many people have said that Beautiful Disaster was amazing, but for me personally, Walking Disaster was even better. Why? Because it was from Travis's POV.
When I read Beautiful Disaster, I absolutely adored it. My emotions were up and down like some sort of crazy roller coaster ride because Abby kept pulling Travis close and then pushing him away. So imagine how I felt experiencing those emotions from Trav's POV. I was happy and high as a kite one minute, then I was depressed and wanting to tear my hair out the next.

Travis really goes through a rough ride in Walking Disaster. We don't experience any of that in BD, we just take Abby's word for things. But upon reading this, I fell in love with Trav all over again. He isn't perfect, but he doesn't try to pretend that he is. I like that about him. He's honest, down to earth and he won my heart from the moment I started reading BD.

Travis Maddox is used to only ever loving one woman, his mother. When she died, she told him to fight for the one he loves and never give up. He decided that he couldn't fall in love because it would hurt too much. Best to keep it casual. So he sleeps around. A lot. He 'bags' girls on the couch of the apartment he shares with his cousin/best friend Shepley. But when Abby Abernathy walks into his life, all that he thought before, felt before, is somehow no longer right. He wants to impress Abby in a way he never tried with girls before. He doesn't just want to sleep with her, a casual one night stand. He sees her as a pigeon, a dove, one woman that in this messed up world of his might just be worth fighting for.

Abby won't sleep with Travis. She knows his history, and even his present. He sleeps with girls and then doesn't even take their phone number. But that doesn't mean to say she can't befriend the guy. She doesn't set out to be the girl to tame him and his wild ways. But unbeknown to Abby, that is exactly what is starting to happen. As their friendship deepens, he sleeps with less and less girls. He starts to make small gestures like opening doors for Abby, things she doesn't know are out of the ordinary for him.

Trav starts to feel more and more for Pidge (his nickname for Abby). He can't or won't admit it to anyone, not even himself. He spends time with Pidge when she visits the apartment to see Shepley, her best friend America's boyfriend. He also likes to take her out for meals, and out for rides on the back of his motorbike. He likes to do just about anything as long as he can spend time with the girl he's starting to see as more than a mere conquest.

When the two of them finally give in to their feelings for each other, I felt a sense of sweet relief. I had unknowingly built up a well of angst and the dam burst as they finally admitted to feeling more than mere friendship. 

The two go through their ups and downs, what relationship doesn't? But the way they forge on ahead regardless, it gives you a sense of hope. If they can get through anything, then why can't you?!

What really pulls on my heartstrings is the fact that Travis isn't a bad guy, he's just misunderstood. He loved one woman all his life, and she died. He bottled up how he felt, lived life in the dark, until he met Pidge, then it's like a light switch was turned on and he had to blink really slowly and learn how to adjust to the light. 

It was great to experience everything from Trav's POV - when we heard it all from Abby, it gave us one opinion of him, but to read how he lived through each moment, it was... I honestly don't know a word for it. Incredible, maybe. 

Jamie McGuire is an amazing author. Not only did she create the fun and feisty Abby 'Pidge' Abernathy, she created Travis Maddox, one of my ultimate book crushes. The characters Jamie creates are what really make the book come to life. I love how Trav is so good at fighting, not only with his fists, but for what he wants - Pidge. I also love the other characters, America and Shepley. There are obviously those I don't like very much, the main example being Parker. We all know why that is, right?!

I'm really grateful to have been able to get an eARC of this book. So thank you Atria and thank you Net Galley. But thank you most of all to Jamie McGuire for providing me with so much action, angst, pain, fun and overall, love. I took an emotional battering when it came to the end of Walking Disaster, I just wish it wasn't the end for Trav and Pidge. 

Thank you all who came by to read my review. Hope to see you all here again soon!








2 comments:

  1. I'm dying to read this one! I hope I get a chance to read it soon your review has me even more hyped up for it!


    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...