Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Review of TRIANGLES by Kimberly Ann Miller


Title: TRIANGLES
Publication Date: June 18th 2013
Source: ARC provided by Spencer Hill Press for review purposes

"A cruise ship. A beautiful island. Two sexy guys. What could possibly go wrong? 

In the Bermuda Triangle—a lot.

Hoping to leave behind the reminders of her crappy life--her father's death years ago, her mother's medical problems, and the loser who’s practically stalking her--seventeen-year-old Autumn Taylor hops on a ship with her sister for a little distraction. When she wakes up in the Bermuda Triangle, she fears she's gone nuts for more than one reason: that loser’s suddenly claiming they're a happy couple... a hot guy is wrapping his arms around her and saying "Happy Anniversary"... and suddenly, she’s full of bruises, losing her hair, and getting IV medication. Autumn visits the ship's doctor, hoping for a pill or a shot to make the craziness go away. Instead, she's warned that these "alternate realities" could become permanent.

She just has to ask herself one question—how the hell is she going to get out of this mess?"

*I Hereby Award This Book 4 Wings!*

I'm not entirely sure where to begin this review. I had such mixed emotions at the beginning of this book that I was sure I wasn't going to be able to give it more than 3 wings. Sounds harsh, right?! But hey, my reviews are meant to be honest and that's what this is. Honest. 
So anyway, this book began with Autumn being one of the meanest girls since the film Mean Girls. I was absolutely sure that nothing could redeem her and that I would end the book hating her even more.
But, and that's a big BUT... I actually ended up liking her. Trust me, no-one was more shocked than me! I actually ended the book with tears in my eyes. That's something I didn't think I'd do.

So... how to describe this book and the tumultuous journey that Autumn had on this cruise... Well....

Autumn Taylor blames herself for the death of her father and for the accident that put her mother in the hospital. Her sister Jessica wants to take her on the cruise that their mother had planned. Maybe they can escape from reality for a while... But Autumn gets more than she bargained for when her life is thrown into ultimate chaos. 
The cruise was meant to be a time to relax and let her hair down. But Autumn faces dilemma's one after the other from the moment they enter the area known as the "Bermuda Triangle". 

Having believed she left her 'stalker' behind at home, she's all too shocked to learn that Joey is actually on board the cruise too. Joey follows her around like a lost puppy back home. They work at the same auto shop and he has a crush on her. Autumn is less than happy to find that he's not only on board the ship but he is also seated next to her at meal times. Can't a girl catch a break?

Autumn spends her time trying to avoid Joey and finds comfort when she realises Marcus, also someone she knows from back home, is on board. She finds Marcus attractive and she likes spending time in his company. 

All isn't going too badly until one morning Autumn awakes and when she goes for breakfast, she's confronted by Marcus who is all over her like a rash. She likes him but so far they haven't even shared one kiss, yet on this morning, Marcus tells her that they are celebrating their anniversary. How can this be so when yesterday they barely knew each other?

Things seem to spiral from there for Autumn. Each day she awakes to wonder if today everything will be back to normal - but things are further from normal with each day that comes to pass. Autumn has so many things go wrong in such a short period of time and she doesn't know what to do or who to turn to. She can't tell her sister about it because she'll surely think she's crazy. 

I can't tell you what happens during Autumn's time in the Bermuda Triangle but I will tell you she is in for a very tumultuous journey. From boy troubles to falling out with Jess, to losing her hair... each of the days that pass is somehow worse than the previous one. Which one will end up being her 'permanent reality'?  Will she ever get back to the life that she had before the cruise?

One thing Autumn never thought she'd do was feel anything for Joey. But could that be about to change? Will she end up with Marcus? Will she end up with Joey? Or neither, perhaps...

I began this book thinking Autumn wasn't a very nice person [my polite way of putting it] but she learns something about herself during these fast-changing times. Does she learn to grow up? Well, she redeemed herself in my eyes, that's all I can say. 

This book was quite fast-paced and though I started it wanting to strangle Autumn, it was still a fun journey for me. I liked it when things constantly changed and it felt like the rug was pulled from under her feet. I wanted things to push her to grow up and be a nicer person to those around her. I was pleased with the outcome when she got back home. When you read the book you'll probably wonder why I was happy it ended like it did, but though (bleep) happened to Autumn at the end, it was still a good outcome afterwards- I can't explain things better than that. I know you probably feel confused reading this. I feel confused writing it ;)

I am glad I got an ARC of Triangles from Spencer Hill Press. I have heard that there'll be other books in the series but that they won't be about Autumn. I think that's a shame, I think it would be good to see what happens after she got back home. 

Thank you to SHP and to Kimberly Ann Miller. Thank you also to anyone who came to read this review. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...