Saturday, 3 August 2013

Review of CAMP KISS and CAMP BOYFRIEND by JK Rock


Title: CAMP KISS 
Author: J.K Rock
Publication Date: March 26th 2013
Source: paperback copy provided by the author for review purposes

"The Camp Kiss That Started It All…

Lauren Carlson, a fourteen-year-old expert on the cosmos, superheroes, and science fiction trivia has a crush on her longtime camp friend, Seth. Last summer she’d dreamed about upgrading their relationship to BF/GF status and this year she has a plan… if only her well-meaning cabin mates wouldn’t interfere before she’s ready. She hasn’t even adjusted to her new braces yet, let alone imagined kissing Seth with them. When a dare pushes her out of her comfort zone, will she and Seth rocket out of the friendzone at last? There’s only one way to find out…"

*I Hereby Award This Novella 5 Wings!*

When I first started talking to Karen Rock (half of the writing duo behind this book) she told me about Camp Boyfriend and I contacted Spencer Hill Press straight away. They told me I was the first person to request an ARC. Then I was told I could download the prequel novella, Camp Kiss
I decided to wait until I had Camp Boyfriend in my hands to read Camp Kiss because I am terribly impatient and wouldn't have been able to wait - as it is, I have a long wait ahead for the next installment, Payback
So when Karen said she could get me a paperback copy from BEA, I was beyond excited and was ready to pounce on my mail-man. The day they landed on my doorstep, I have to admit I let out a little squeal and was so happy to see a signed copy of CK and CB and some SWAG. 

When I first started reading this, I was totally sucked in. We don't have camps like this here in the UK and I wanted to know what they were like. I was totally hooked by the feel of the story, the way the words painted images in my mind. I sort of imagined it to be a bit like the camp in the Percy Jackson film.
I was swept away by the story of Lauren and Seth. They were like two peas in a pod. Perfect for each other in every way. But would their relationship finally turn into the relationship of Lauren's dreams? For a long time, they have been friends, but Lauren has always wanted more. Little did she know that this Summer she may finally get her wish come true.

This was a brilliantly written story and I was finished in record time because it was just so fast-paced and I was dying to know what would become of Lauren, Seth and their friends.
Not once could I really tell this was written by two authors. The fluidity of the words and the story on the whole was seamless. 
I am so grateful to Joanne and Karen for sending this to me and it shall remain a much treasured ARC.


Author: J.K. Rock
Publication Date: July 2nd 2013
Source: paperback copy provided by the authors for review purposes.


"The summer of her dreams is about to get a reality check.

They said it couldn't be done, but geeky sophomore Lauren Carlson transformed herself into a popular girl after moving to a new school halfway across the country. Amazing what losing her braces and going out for cheerleading will do. Only trouble is, the popular crowd is wearing on Lauren's nerves and she can't wait to return to summer camp where she's valued for her brain instead of her handsprings. She misses her old friends and most of all, her long time camp-only boyfriend, Seth. This year she intends to upgrade their relationship to year-round status once she's broken up with her new, jock boyfriend, Matt. He doesn't even begin to know the real her, a girl fascinated by the night sky who dreams of discovering new planets and galaxies.

But Matt isn't giving her up without a fight. As he makes his case to stay together, Lauren begins to realize his feelings run deeper than she ever would have guessed. What if the guy she thought she was meant to be with forever isn't really The One? Returning to Camp Juniper Point was supposed to ground her uprooted life, but she's more adrift than ever. Everything feels different and soon Lauren's friends are turning on her and both guys question what she really wants. As summer tensions escalate, Lauren wonders if she's changed more than she thought. Will her first big discovery be herself?"

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings!*

As soon as I was finished with Camp Kiss, I dove straight into Camp Boyfriend. I was desperate to know what was going to happen next. 
This Summer, Lauren has got rid of her braces. She's no longer geeky. She's a cheerleader and is popular at her new school. But she misses camp life. She misses the girls in her cabin, 'Munchies Manor'. Most of all, she misses Seth.
But while she was at school, she got together with a popular, handsome, charming guy called Matt. She was meant to dump him and return to camp single. She wanted to know if this year would be the year that her and Seth would finally make their relationship a year-round thing. But fate has a different plan in-store for Lauren and the boys in her life. 
She returns to camp, but now the whole balance is out of whack and Lauren is in doubt as to whether she can ever return the equilibrium of previous camp life. 

Lauren goes through so much this Summer. She's got to choose between Matt and Seth. Her friends are all falling to the wayside because of the boy drama but also because they see a different Lauren, someone they aren't used to being around. 
Lauren is on the verge of having everything or nothing and she can't seem to make the step into one future or the other. 

This story was chock full of drama, tension, love, friendships being tested to the boundaries. I really felt sorry for Lauren because she never asked for any of it to happen - she soon realised after returning to camp that nothing would ever be the same. 
I was totally Team Seth in Camp Kiss, but then when Matt was introduced in Camp Boyfriend, I was torn between the two. I can't say I love one more than the other. I can see that Lauren loved Seth for many reasons but then there are also many reasons to love Matt too, even if they are totally polar opposites (the boys that is). Geeky Lauren is a good fit with Seth but then cheerleader Lauren is a good fit with Matt and I love the way he tells her he won't let her go without a fight. So I am firmly ensconced in Team Seth and Team Matt.

This was a superb story and I am dying for the next book. I have far too long to wait now!

I really like the writing style of Joanne and Karen. They say that the right words can paint a beautiful picture within the mind's eye. Well I was totally drawn in and I felt like I could have been right there beside them in camp. The characters were all so real and tangible. That's one of my favourite things in this book. It goes to show that fictional characters needn't necessarily be 2D - they can be well rounded 3 dimensional people. 
I felt like I could have easily been part of the girls group in Munchies Manor and been friends with Lauren and her friends. I loved how there was a rival girls camp and whilst one or two of them may have been stuck up, there were also a couple of them that weren't all that bad. 
This story proved that there needn't always be a line drawn in the sand between 'popular' girls and the not-so-popular. 

I really hope in the next book that whilst there will always be ups and downs, there can also be some times when people aren't treated by what they are labelled and can just get on with each other even if it's only whilst they are at camp.

Thank you Karen and Joanne for my copies of the books and my OCD thanks you for putting them in a plastic bag so that no-one else had touched them except for the 3 of us. I can't wait for Payback!

Thank you for coming to read my reviews today. I hope you enjoyed them and that I didn't spoil anything for you. 
I hope you all go on to buy these books and experience first-hand how much fun they are. I hope you, like me, are happy with who Lauren ends up with. 

Until next time....



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Keren!! Karen and I were having a family party this weekend and are only just now getting our heads above water again, but what a nice thing to discover today... I love your review!! We're so grateful :-). I can't wait to post and post and post it everywhere. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Keren, and fellow member of the OCD Book Club- hehe. I love your thoughtful reviews which will greatly help your readership in making purchasing decisions! They also made me smile- see :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...