Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Review of SILVER HEART by Victoria Green




Title: SILVER HEART
Publication Date: July 25th 2013
Source: e-copy provided by author for BETA reading and review purposes#

"There comes a moment in everyone’s life when they must decide which road leads to personal happiness. For Dylan Silver, this is that moment…

For the past twenty-two-years, Dylan has been living in her parents' carefully crafted world, always putting her own dreams on hold to play the role of a dutiful daughter.

So when her best friend coaxes her into a winter getaway to a mountain cabin, she sees it as a chance to forget about the responsibilities waiting for her at home. At least for a little while.

But then her past catches up to her—in the form of sexy snowboarder, Sawyer Carter.

Six years ago, Dylan bid goodbye to the only boy she ever truly loved. Now he's standing right in front of her, bringing up bittersweet memories and igniting suppressed desires as he dares her to be the person she has always wanted to be.

Dylan and Sawyer’s unexpected meeting is a second chance, but will a girl who doesn't believe in fate and taking risks be able to overcome her fears of losing control and finally embrace the life she desperately wants?

Only one thing is certain: after a week in Whistler, Dylan's world will never be the same."

*Please note that this novel contains mature subject matter, including strong language and sexual situations that may not be suitable for all readers. Reader/buyer discretion is advised.*

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings!*

Note: This review may contain what some of you would call spoilers, though I don't think so. Please read on only if you are comfortable with that. Thank you. 

I was lucky enough to be able to BETA-read this amazing novel. When I say lucky, that’s an understatement really – I just don’t have a word to describe it. 
Silver Heart is one of those heart-wrenching books that is also heart-warming at the same time. It’s difficult to put into words how I felt about the story because it made me feel such a roller coaster of emotions that it’s hard to pin-point the essence of what made this book so awesome. 
Dylan Silver is a twenty-two year old girl who is on track to become a doctor. It’s what she’s worked towards all her life. But is it what she really wants? Her true passion is photography, but her parents believe that she can’t make a career out of that so they condition her and push her to become the doctor they would be proud of. 
Sawyer Carter is an amazing snow-boarder. He’s nicknamed Carter the Carver because he is so good at it. He’s trying to work his way up to being on the Olympic team, that’s his dream. He had a rough childhood with an abusive father and an absent mother. The only thing that ever held him together was Dylan, or Silver, as he called her. 
The two were best friends throughout their childhood. She was a 7 year old girl with a 9 year old brother. She introduced Adam to Sawyer and they became fast friends. But Silver always felt more for Sawyer than just friendship. She was too shy to tell him she thought she was in love with him. 
Silver was the one Sawyer turned to when yet again his father had been abusive. He couldn’t turn to anyone else. But Silver was always there to patch him up. She was the balm that soothed his wounds, his heart, and his soul. He was never been brave enough to tell her he’s in love with her. 
Dylan goes on a week’s holiday with her friend Tracy. Enter the loud, highly-sexed best friend! If ever there were two opposite people, it would be Tracy and Dylan. But that’s okay because opposites attract and Tracy and her antics are just the kind of thing Dylan needs. Her parents have been pushing her more lately. Now that she’s graduated, now more than ever they are pushing her to find a career. She’s always said she’d work in paediatrics and her parents want her to make her move and become a doctor now. But Dylan took this week out to be with Tracy and have a good time – after all, all study and no play makes Dylan a dull girl.
The two girls are at a resort and Tracy is adamant she wants to get with Dylan’s brother Adam. Dylan however, doesn’t have boys on her mind. That is until she looks across the room and there he is. 6 years apart and he still makes her breath hitch in her throat. 
Sawyer Carter. The best friend, the boy she’s been in love with for what feels like her whole life. Of all the places to be, he’s in the one place she didn’t think he would be. He’s here to snowboard with his friends. He takes one look at Silver and crosses the room to be near her. The girl he’s been in love with for years. She’s in the one place he never thought she would be. 
Rekindling their friendship after 6 years apart is seamless. They melt back into each other’s’ lives like those years didn’t happen. 
Silver’s world is turned upside-down and inside-out. She’s always known she would go on to become a doctor. It’s what she’s worked for, Adam too. Both of them are going into medicine. But here, with Sawyer, she feels like her world is unravelling. Her passion for photography comes back to life when she takes photos of him and his friends on the slopes. Why is it she has to do what her parents want and not what her heart wants?
Dylan’s parents were never happy about her friendship with Sawyer. They knew what his family was like. But it wasn’t Sawyer’s fault and when the time came, he left town to follow his dream, his passion for snowboarding. 
Silver starts to realise that maybe her life isn’t all it could be, all it should be. Sawyer pushes her beyond her boundaries. He pushes her to be the girl she is on the inside. He’s like gravity, grounding her where she needs to be. 
This is the story of two broken, almost ‘star-crossed’ people who lead very different lives but have always been the others’ other half. Wherever they are, they will always be the part that makes the other whole.
I won’t lie, this story made me cry several times. I don’t know whether I have become over-emotional lately, I seem to cry at things other people don’t. But I guess that’s why they say no two people ever read the same book. 
This is a beautifully written, fast-paced, roller coaster of emotion. I spent the whole time glued to the book. I was gripped from the beginning and even a day after finishing it, sitting here writing my review, I am reminded of the passion, the fire, the all-consuming beauty of this book. 
If there was ever a book I could say was totally perfect, it would be Dylan Silver’s story, Silver Heart.
I felt like such a terrible BETA when I gave Victoria my feedback – I couldn’t think of one even slightly negative thing to say. Everything was me gushing about how wonderful this was and how I want a Sawyer Carter of my very own. I couldn’t give any constructive criticism, the only thing I could tell her was ‘Don’t you dare change a thing’. The only bad thing in this whole story was the fact that it had to end and that it is a stand-alone. I want more Silver and Sawyer. But I guess I can read it over again. 
If I could say one thing about this book, it is that Tracy is an absolute riot! Her sexy exploits, her big mouth and her infectious laugh. She has the best outlook on life and I’m glad Silver has her there to be the best ‘best friend’ a girl could ask for.
I am so glad to have been one of Victoria’s BETA-readers. Her writing style is… unique. She knows how to make me laugh, how to make me cry and how to make it up to me afterwards. 
Thank you Victoria for the chance to read this amazing book. I’m glad I didn’t pass up the chance.

Thank you all for coming to read my review. I am only sorry it took me so long to post it as I have been trying to take a break from blogging. 
Side Note: Normal service should resume around September. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...