Monday, 30 September 2013

Review of Because of Lucy by Lisa Swallow


Author: Lisa Swallow
Publication Date: August 28th 2013
Source: e-copy from author provided in exchange for an honest review

*Recommended 17+ due to strong language and sexual content* 

Ness's parents are shocked when she turns down her place at Leeds University and takes on a full-time job in a call center. Determined to begin her adult life the way she wants, Ness moves to Leeds to live with her best friend Abby.

One night she meets Evan, who is everything she hates about guys. He may be hot but he's also drunken, arrogant, and on top of that, he apparently has sex with girls and forgets about it. But Evan isn't what he seems and Ness soon discovers they have more in common than she thought.

Evan is struggling to escape from his past too, and when Lucy appears she threatens his new relationship with Ness. Unsure if she can deal with the effect Lucy has on Evan, Ness makes a decision about her future which pulls them apart.

When their new lives don't go as planned, Ness and Evan are both faced with difficult choices. 

All because of Lucy...

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings*

I have to be honest, this is only the second book I have read by this author, yet I can already tell she is an all-round superstar. The other book I have read of hers is called Soul Ties and is a Paranormal Romance, then here's this Contemporary Romance which has just come along to show that Lisa can switch-up the genres and be able to pull it off with deft ease. 

This is the story of Vanessa and Evan. The two meet by chance when Ness's friend Abby is dating Evan's friend Matt. There's an attraction between the two but Evan's reputation as a charmer precedes him and Ness doesn't want to get caught up in the drama.
Abby and Ness room together, and Abby has a habit of holding parties til stupid o'clock in the morning. Ness can't get away from the student life even though she isn't one. She decided not to follow along the path that she had previously been on. Her parents wanted her to study but she decided to get a job instead. 

Evan is attracted to Ness. Maybe it's the fact that she's gorgeous, maybe it's the fact she doesn't seem interested or maybe it's both. When Ness looks at Evan, all she can see is his reputation for being the 'love them and leave them' type of guy. She can't deny she's attracted to him but as drawn as she is, she doesn't want to be just another notch on his bed post. 

What ensues is a tale of a not-so-straightforward romance. Don't forget, there's Lucy to consider. But just who is the mysterious Lucy and what hold does she have on Evan?

I would definitely recommend this book to lovers of Contemporary Romance and anyone who loves an emotionally gripping story. 
I was so drawn into this story. I had an emotional investment in it from the beginning. I felt as though Lisa had written the role of Vanessa for me. She has sass and doesn't take any messing. She is just my kind of girl. 
This book was full of sexual tension and oh-so-witty banter and repartee. There were times aplenty when I had to laugh out loud at some of the moves Evan was trying to pull and Ness wasn't having any of it. But then there were also times when my mood was brought down, take for instance my Goodreads status at 72% in: 

"I just can't hold them back any longer... Hot salty tears are racing each other quietly down my cheeks as I take in all that Evan is and what he and Ness could be... I want my own real-life Evan, minus the "issues""
and my status update when I finished:

"I couldn't go to bed because I simply had to finish not just want to, but HAD to finish this book. I seriously adore Evan and Vanessa. The whole man-whore thing was so... well, you'll see... I am bowled over by Lisa's beautiful words and her insight into "the issues" - I am crying my eyes out but trying to be quiet so as not to wake my son!"

In all honesty, I can NOT wait until the next book in this series, I think I might have bitten my fingers off in the slow, agonizing wait!

Thank you Lisa for the review copy of Because of Lucy. I am in awe of what a rockstar you are. You are proof that us authors don't have to be pigeon-holed and stick to one genre. You should be greatly proud!

Thank you to anyone who came to read my review. Pick up your copy at either of these links:




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...