Monday, 2 September 2013

Review of THROUGH THE ZOMBIE GLASS by Gena Showalter



Expected Publication Date: September 24th 2013
Source: Copy provided by the publisher for review purposes

"Inspired by the childhood classic Alice in Wonderland, this harrowing and romantic story features teen zombie slayer Alice Bell who has lost so much—family, friends, her home. After a strange new zombie attack, Alice fears she may be losing her mind as well. A terrible darkness blooms inside her, urging her to do wicked things. The whispers of the dead assault her ears and mirrors seem to come frighteningly to life. She’s never needed her team of zombie slayers more—including her boyfriend, Cole—than she does now. But as Cole strangely withdraws and the zombies gain new strength, Ali knows one false step may doom them all."

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings!*

I remember reading Alice In Zombieland last year and it was so action-packed and awesome that I didn't think it was possible for Showalter to top that. Yet here she is this year with Through The Zombie Glass and I find myself questioning whether it's awesomeness is equal to or greater than AIZ, because it certainly couldn't be lesser. 
Last time, I loved all the action, the drama, the zombies and the slayers. I loved Alice and Cole especially. This time round, I love all the same things, but I feel even closer to the characters because of going through the wringer with them in both books. 

I remember AIZ being taken to hospital with me when I had my operation last year and I stayed up late at night to finish it. I'm talking sometimes 2 or 3am. I wasn't sure I'd do that this time around but guess what? It did. Every night I've been too entranced to put the book down until I've realised that it's 2am. There's more action, more drama, additional characters and it all fits together to make one hell of a roller coaster of a book. 

I don't want to tell you guys anything that will ruin your experience of reading this book, especially as some of you may not even have read AIZ. But I hope that you will all enjoy this story as much as I did.

What I liked: 
The ups and downs, the drama unfolding, the emotional roller coaster that is Alice and Cole. I loved the excitement of fighting the zombies, the interactions between Alice and Veronica, the very fact that Cole adores Alice and she him. The interactions between Alice and Cole were one of my favourite things of this whole book. Then of course, there's Z.A. I can't tell you what that stands for but seriously, it's something that some people will hate, some people will love. I was a bit of both. I hated it but then I love the way it adds drama to the entire story.

What I Disliked:
Well first of all, it's a who not a what. His name is Gavin. He became an issue the moment he stepped onto the page. He walks in as if he owns the place. Girls flock to him and goodness only knows why. He's got an ego the size of... well I don't know what, but it's huge. He thinks it's fair to use girls. Everything about him infuriates me. Yet actually, in the end, even he became something I liked because like it or not he earned my respect. 

This story was completely amazing. From beginning to end, it was all go. There were no moments where it fell flat like some stories can. You can tell that everything was as Showalter meant it to be, not just used as 'filler' to pad the story out. I think she is an amazing author and the way she weaves her words into something so... magical inspires me to become the best author I can be.

If you're looking for an entertaining read this Summer, then you should really pick up a copy of Through The Zombie Glass. 

Thank you Harelquin/MIRAink for the ARC and thank you to Net Galley for being there to allow me access to the galley.

Thank you everyone who came to read my review today. I hope you will pick up a copy and enjoy the journey for yourself.



1 comment:

  1. so many books, so little time, its on my must readc list though

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...