Wednesday, 29 January 2014

*Welcome To My Stop on THE REPLACEMENT Blog Tour*





Author: Rachael Wade
Publication Date: January 27th 2014
Source: e-ARC provided by author for review 


*Contains sexually explicit content and mature subject matter, including language and elements of abuse.*

A gritty New Adult drama about a young woman’s self-destructive quest to find purpose, self-worth, and love in a broken world.

My name is Elise Duchamp. I’m twenty-three years old and I’m known as the town whore.

No, not the kind who exchanges sexual favors for money. The other kind. The kind who gives it all away for free, whenever and however she likes. I am that girl. The one everyone whispers about and the one none of the girls seem to like, because all of their boyfriends either want to sleep with me or already have. Promiscuity is my thing—the kind that slowly, violently turns my insides black, but gives me something I need.

All things considered, I’m not completely reckless. I’m safe, and contrary to popular opinion, I do have a heart. I live in a world of careless choices, and with those choices come careless people. I cannot judge them, because I am one of them. I too bow down to the altar of the self-serving. I am not a good friend. I am not and never could be anyone’s girlfriend. I’m convinced any goodness in me shriveled up and died long ago.

But I am a replacement. That is something I know how to be, and this is a story of the lengths I’d go to in order to keep it that way

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings!*

What can I say about this amazing book? Really, the book speaks for itself. This was one of the most amazing reads of 2013 for me. I loved it so much. As always with Rachael's books, it was written amazingly. If you have read even one book by Rachael Wade before, then you will know how she plays your heartstrings like a violin and damn is she a great violinist!! If you haven't read one of her books, what rock have you been living under? LOL!

Elise is broken. She can't be fixed. Her upbringing wasn't with the most loving, tactile of families. Her father was a horrible man (I'm being tame there) in fact, he was a monster. Her mother was broken too. She did as her husband told her to. She was beautiful, and we're talking old Hollywood glamour - but nothing was good enough for her husband. He often made her feel worthless. This is where Elise got her feelings of worthlessness from too. She watched her father treat her mother like she was disposable and worse, when she became ill, he left her. To him, looks were more important than anything. If you weren't beautiful, you didn't exist. 
When her mother died, Elise had no-one. She felt empty, worthless, a mere shell of a person. She got a job in a cafe in Gig Harbor. It wasn't much but it meant she could afford to rent someplace to live. The trouble with Elise being empty and broken is that she needs something to fill that void in her life and boy does she go the wrong way about it. She doesn't prostitute herself, she doesn't give sexual favours in return for money - worse than that, in a way, she gives it away for FREE and she gives it to every man in town, whether or not he has a partner waiting at home for him. She's a woman on a mission of self-destruction. When she meets Ryder, she tells him she's not girlfriend material and can only give him what she's got and she doesn't really have much to give. She doesn't want to tell him about her reputation, he's new to town and he hasn't heard the rumour mill turning. 
In all honesty, I thought I would hate Elise. From the blurb, she didn't sound like all that much of a good person. But then I found out that she is a good person and she does have a heart, it's just buried so deep under so many years worth of hurt that it isn't immediately obvious to the naked eye. I found her story intriguing and I needed to know what really made her tick. 
There was so much going on in this story, it was an absolutely un-putdownable book. I am always really excited about reading Rachael Wade's books and this one was like no other she has written before. It is truly brilliant and I am so glad that I signed up for the blog tour. 
Rachael always toys with my emotions with everything she writes and this was no different. I was hit with anger, revulsion, and disgust but I also felt for Elise when I learned what she had been through and I felt sadness, pain and hatred for her father. I also felt love. Ryder won my heart in an instant. I wished Elise could see herself through my eyes, through Jay's eyes, through Ryder's eyes. She would have seen someone worth fighting through all the crap to get to the heart of. 
Will she ever fight her way through to become someone that can be respected instead of loathed by the whole town? To find out, you need to purchase a copy of The Replacement.









The Replacement
OFFICIAL PLAYLIST

Criminal – Fiona Apple

Young and Beautiful – Lana Del Rey (Theme Song)

Burning Desire – Lana Del Rey (Elise’s Song)

Off to the Races – Lana Del Rey (Masked Ball Scene)

Who Will Save Your Soul – Jewel

9 Crimes – Damien Rice

Breathe Me – Sia

Foolish Games – Jewel

These Boots Were Made for Walkin’ – Nancy Sinatra

Just Give  Me a Reason - Pink

Hole in My Hand - Benjamin Francis Leftwich

Hands – Jewel

Poison and Wine – The Civil Wars

Society – Eddie Vedder version (Ryder’s song)

Landslide – Fleetwood Mac (Thanksgiving Day Scene)

In the Sun – Joseph Arthur

Winter – Tori Amos

Born to Die – Lana Del Rey (Elise and Ryder’s Song)

Blue Jeans – Lana Del Rey (Elise’s song for Ryder)

Época – Gotan Project

Spark – Tori Amos

Smells Like Teen Spirit – Tori Amos version

Please Don’t Leave Me - Pink

Empty – Ray LaMontagne

Jolene – Ray LaMontagne

Thin Line - HoneyHoney

This Year’s Love - David Gray

House of the Rising Sun - Animals

Be Be Your Love – Rachael Yamagata

Secrets – OneRepublic

National Anthem (album version) – Lana Del Rey (Epilogue)


 ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Rachael Wade is the Amazon bestselling author of THE PRESERVATION SERIES, LOVE AND RELATIVITY, and the upcoming New Adult sci-fi series, THE KEEPERS TRILOGY. When she's not writing, she's busy going to concerts, watching too many movies, and learning how to protect animals and the environment. She's an avid Brandi Carlile fan and loves all things Tim Burton. Visit her at RachaelWade.com and LightsOnLove.com, and come chat with her on Twitter @RachaelWade.
Connect with Rachael:

1 comment:

  1. Keren, as always, your reviews are fantastic - well though-out and honest. I appreciate you reading Elise's story and I'm so happy it was a special read for you. xoxo

    Thanks for being a part of the tour!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...