Thursday, 24 July 2014

Welcome To My Stop On The TORTURED Blog Tour!


Title: TORTURED
Author: Kate Givans
Expected Publication Date:
Source: eARC provided for blog tour purposes.

A contemporary romantic drama about loss, healing, and love's ability to reach beyond scars and secrets, no matter how deep or hidden. 

WARNING: This book is intended for 18+ readers ONLY. Potentially triggering content and concepts in books to follow. 

More than a year after the death of his best friend, Josh is still tormented by the past. Everything changes when free-spirited Willow barges into his life. She challenges him, helps him feel something other than the overwhelming pain, sadness, and anger. 

There’s just one problem. 

Underneath that carefree spirit, Willow is elusive and secretive. Josh believes she may be fighting a few demons of her own, but the harder he tries to uncover the truth, the more she pushes him away. 

Can Josh get her to open up before it’s too late? Or will he discover that some secrets are better left untold?

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings!*

I was given the opportunity to read TORTURED and let me tell you, I am so glad I did. It is one of the best books I have read so far in 2014.
Being a debut novel, I was absolutely blown away. Kate Givans writes like an author that has many more books under her belt than just this one. She writes like she has been doing it for years. Her style is easy to fall into and is beautiful in its simplicity.
I have two published books myself, yet after reading Tortured, it has made me aspire to be a better writer. This story was powerful, emotional and felt very real. For me, there is nothing better than feeling like I have stepped into the pages of somebody else’s life.
For me, reading is escaping from reality for a while, being transported to live amongst the pages with the characters. Tortured pulled me in from the very first word and did not let go of me even at the end of the story. I want more and I want it now!
This story sailed a little close to home for me at times—not that I have been in the exact same position as Josh and Willow, but at times, things had me thinking back to my youth. Whilst I enjoy escaping reality in the pages of a story, sometimes, things can take me back to a time that wasn’t so pleasant for me. But that is actually what brought me closer to the characters. The subject matter of this book and the way the characters interact makes it very tangible and real.
I’m sitting here wondering how I can convince you to pick up a copy of Tortured for yourself, but not give too much away. Nobody likes spoilers, right?!
I enjoyed that it was written from Josh’s POV. I haven’t read too many books that are written by a woman and yet are in the male POV. Kate Givans managed to pull it perfectly. If I didn’t know a woman had written it before I read it, I would surely have believed it was written by a man.
Anyway, onto the story itself…
Josh is still in mourning over the loss of his best friend a year ago. He is tormenting himself, believing it was all his fault. The emotional roller coaster that he is on only becomes more of a loop-de-loop ride when Willow comes waltzing into his life.
Willow is carefree, beautiful and free-spirited and when the two collide, something inside Josh is awoken and he starts to come slowly back to life. Willow helps him try to overcome his guilt and the loss of his friend.
Willow is very nomadic, almost gypsy-like in the way that she never stays in one place for very long. But this time, she wants to stay around long enough that she can help Josh.
The two are good together but Willow is keeping secrets and we all know what happens when we hold our cards close to our chest, never letting those that love us in. Things become complicated and messy.
The couple are in very different places in their lives, yet when they are together, that is where they are meant to be.
Josh tries to uncover more about Willow’s past, but the harder he pushes, the more she closes him down. She wants him to open up to her, wants to help him overcome his demons and yet she won’t let him do the same for her. This is very frustrating for Josh because he wants to know the real Willow, to know what she is hiding.
Will Josh get Willow to open up to him? Can Willow help Josh fight his demons to the point where he stops blaming himself? To answer these questions, you need to pick up a copy of Tortured for yourself. Trust me, you won’t be sorry you did.

Thank you Kate for giving me an ARC and allowing me to participate in your blog tour. I am beyond grateful that I was allowed to read this amazing story early. Congratulations on a debut novel to be extremely proud of and I hope Willow's story is out soon so that I can learn more about her. You created two characters that really drew me in and I can't wait for more. 

Thank you to all of you who came by to read my review. Hope to see you again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...