Monday, 29 December 2014

Review of ANDROMEDA by Amy Bartelloni


Title: ANDROMEDA
Author: Amy Bartelloni
Publication Date: May 6th 2014

Ten years after a pandemic swept the globe, survivors were forced into factions and camps in order to survive.

Jade and Sera are two orphans who have found refuge in a government camp. It's there where Jade falls in love with a young soldier, Anyon. But Anyon has his own secrets, carefully guarding a past that involves Sera. Before Jade and Anyon admit their feelings to each other the camp is attacked and they're separated.

Jade knows to lead Sera to Albany, the last free camp in the east, but the road is dangerous.

Not only must they dodge pockets of infection, but they're threatened by drifters and gangs. When they arrive in Albany, they find it deserted.

Anyon and his friend Malachi are close on their heels, but not close enough. The Provisional Government is on a mission, and no one is quite prepared for what lies ahead.

*I Hereby Award This Book 5 Wings!*

As a blogger for the last 3 years, my favourite genre became Dystopia. So, when I was asked by Amy Bartelloni to review the second book in this series, Orion's Curse, I jumped at the chance. I decided to download Andromeda from Amazon, as I was told I could read book 2 without reading book 1, but I would really rather start and finish a whole series properly. 

If you are a fan of the Divergent series, Hunger Games and The Immortal Rules, then Andromeda is for you.

What I liked: 
The relationship between Jade and Sera. They may not be blood related, but they are as close as any sisters would be. They look out for each other in this frightening new world where others would turn on each other at the drop of a hat. 
The bond between Jade and Anyon.  They are the cutest couple that aren't a proper couple and the word cute doesn't belong in their world, but still, they are adorable. 
The friendship between Anyon and Malachi. It's amazing how in this new world people can find and form friendships. These two have been through it together and come out the other side. Trusted to look out for Sera, Anyon is level-headed, strong-willed and perseverance should be his middle name. He is one of the few decent people left. Malachi closely resembles those same character traits and it's good to see that even after The Provisional Government took over, that kind, decent people can still be found. 

What I disliked: It doesn't have to be said, but I'll say it all the same; I absolutely hated The Provisional Government and what they have done since they took control. Mostly, I hate President Vise. He's a despicable, deplorable human being - that's a loose term too cos he's not fit t be called a human being. He's cold, unemotional, sick and twisted and he seems to have a God-like complex. 

This was one of the best YA stories that I have read recently. I've been on more of an NA Contemporary Romance binge. I've tried and failed to read several YA books that just haven't held my attention. But Andromeda sucked me in and held my attention captive until I was finished. I was up until after 2am two consecutive nights so that I could finish it off. I finally put the book down at 2:41am today, not realising how late it was because I had lost another chunk of time to reading this book. 
The writing flowed well and for me, the story was without flaw. Amy Bartelloni weaves a totally believable story that I could see our world being like if it were ever to be overturned and run into the ground by those that demand authority. Amy writes strong characters that you can have a tangible relationship with. She builds up your empathy and compassion for those that this world would sooner see destroyed. I have always loved a story where the underdog saves the day, and this is one of those situations where I truly hope the underdog will come out on top. 

If you are after something gritty to sink your teeth into and you enjoy a good YA Dystopian read, then please, pick up a copy of Andromeda. 

AMAZON UK - free at time of posting
AMAZON US - also free at time of posting



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...